INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting the right video card  (Read 937 times)

phusis

• World Citizen
  • Multum in parvo
Getting the right video card
« on: February 26, 2012, 12:56:41 pm »

From the 0.91 thread:

Quote from: Bryanhoop
Is your CPU fanless as well? If you are going to upgrade, skip the video card altogether and grab a Sandy Bridge i3-2105 or a Llano A6-3500.

Thanks for your reply, Bryanhoop.

(to reiterate)
I'm having problems with the image quality of Blu-ray disc playback from the 0.91 build, where, it seems, all MPEG4-AVC encoded discs(all VC-1's I've tested runs smoothly) suffers from heavy pixelation with hardware acceleration enabled(via my granddad Radeon HD3400 video card). Disabling hardware acceleration solves the pixelation problem of these discs, but CPU usage rises about 30+%(from ~10-25%), sometimes even much more, and in some cases it leads to video stuttering(where CPU usage becomes particularly high).

Now, it seems (if memory serves me right) the 0.95 build has brought my video card much more effetively into use(without solving the pixelation issue), as CPU usage has never before sat between a rather low 10-25% during playback. Such low CPU usage readings with hardware acceleration enabled, with my old video card, tells me I need to do no upgrading on the CPU/motherboard front, so I'll keep concentrating on a new video card - which also saves me some money in comparison.

Seeing a video card upgrade is necessary, what type of card do I need to look for - an nvidia-based card, or..? It seems the JRiver application requires a certain type of video card; ergo, any recommendations for a suitable fan-less video card for JRiver Blu-ray playback in Red October Standard mode are most welcome! I would appreciate being informed about the specifications needed(nvidia, whatever) as it appears to be mandatory for faultless playback.

And no, my CPU is not fan-less, but it's quiet as a mouse.

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Getting the right video card
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 01:10:30 pm »

I'm using no video card at all and ROHQ madVR reports the performance in the latest build of MC is flawless.
Hardware acceleration and video clock are "on".
I'm using an Intel i7-2600K CPU with an Intel DZ68DB main board.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Getting the right video card
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:41:39 pm »

Could the pixelisation be due to some post-processing that your card is doing with video acceleration mode on?
Pages: [1]   Go Up