INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRMC17 and enhanced CDs  (Read 1883 times)

Yanoush

JRMC17 and enhanced CDs
« on: February 27, 2012, 01:58:17 pm »

I've just upgraded from JRMC15 to 17. So far impressions are good but I've encountered a problem. An enhanced CD which used to play just like any other CD won't play at all. I get "Playback Problem" and a wording that quotes error 2 (specifically it is Christina Perri's "Lovestrong" so hardly an obscure or old CD). Anyone know how to solve this?

Yanoush

Re: JRMC17 and enhanced CDs
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:17:01 am »

Follow up... I got round it by ripping the CD to the hard drive but would like to think a user could play an enhanced CD in MC in the same way as any other CD.

It played in MC15 without a hint of a problem. In MC17 I get the error and cannot persuade it to play. What's changed?

Thanks for this excellent software, and for the commitment to continual improvement. Hope it helps to raise this very small flaw.

:)

godt

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 12:48:17 am »

i have the same issue. A Sony disc - Brian Eno, Discrete Music. The actual music file on the disc seems to be a 54mb .cds file.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 07:42:42 am »

i have the same issue. A Sony disc - Brian Eno, Discrete Music. The actual music file on the disc seems to be a 54mb .cds file.

Interesting.  I don't see a Sony release or an Enhanced CD version of this album.  Is it one of these?

http://www.discogs.com/Brian-Eno-Discreet-Music/master/6436
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

godt

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 07:15:29 pm »

My apologies. It isn't Sony, it's Virgin. 7243 8 66494 2 3

I notice that the disc includes an audio.exe, skin.exe, audio.dll, wmmp.exe file amongst others in a /player directory, so this would explain why an occasional 'can't find any playable files' message occurs. And I guess also why it has to be ripped to an HDD to get to the .cds file, which at 50+ mb would seem to be the actual music file/s.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 07:18:55 pm »

Heh, that's what I expected.  it's the only copy-protected disc of the lot.

These discs will be hit-or-miss.  Best bet, get a non-copy protected version.  Last copy-protected disc I purchased was ages ago, from Amazon, and I sent it back to them for a full refund.  No thanks.

godt

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 12:28:13 am »

But no copy = no play?

The thought crossed my mind when I saw that mentioned in your link. Oh well, I have the vinyl - guess I'll just have to copy it!

godt

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 01:21:38 am »

And thanks for your responses. I wandered around Discogs (which I did not know) and found a track/CD I've been looking for, and ordered the CD. Very nice.

MrC

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 10:07:49 am »

But no copy = no play?

Generally this isn't the case.  My memory is getting fuzzy here, but I believe there were a handful of copy-protected discs that required the installation of sneaky software upon initial disc insertion. These relied on a) auto-play/auto-install being enabled, and b) an accommodating Windows system.   Neither of these conditions is true today, but you may find the disc works just fine in other (older) setups.

Its a great disc - buy a good one if you can.

godt

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 03:33:39 am »

I will indeed. Cheers.

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 01:57:00 pm »

If you could get your hands on one of the very first single session CD-rom drives, it should play without installing any rootkit or other player program.
It is slow though, 1x or maybe as 'fast' as 4x.
Pages: [1]   Go Up