INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy command's menu path  (Read 1199 times)

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Copy command's menu path
« on: February 29, 2012, 05:07:50 pm »

I'm sure I'm not the only one who is often trying to help someone by giving them the complete menu path to a command they need. Maybe it's my tired old brain, but I find this very tedious. I usually have to look at it two or three times to transcribe it correctly (e.g., one I just did: Help > Update Channels > Open Download Folder). It would be so helpful if I could select (but not click) a menu item and press a hotkey to copy the complete path to the clipboard. Even if I had no difficulty recalling the path and/or didn't think the reader needed it, I'd likely use this method to "quote" a command. It ensures an unambiguous reference as well as how to find the command. I don't know if context menus complicate things (because there are actually multiple "paths" to command). My preference would be the path start with "Context menu >" if that is how the command has been selected. That allows me to decide from the context of the question which is likely to be the preferred way to access the command.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Copy command's menu path
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:40:44 pm »

Where I struggle with it the most is in the Options panel (where this wouldn't work because there is no way to "choose" a particular option as cleanly before you press your hotkey).

I basically always have two monitors, though, so I just throw MC on the other one.

Still, this would be cool if it isn't hard to implement.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rick.ca

Re: Copy command's menu path
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:34:52 pm »

where this wouldn't work because there is no way to "choose" a particular option as cleanly before you press your hotkey

I suppose a few option line items do something on a click, but most don't (I don't count the checkbox item, which can simply be clicked twice). But for both Options and regular menu items, maybe an alternative is to put "Copy Command" on a context menu. In the case of Options, that might offer a choice of "{menu path} > {command}" or "Ctrl+O > (Search) {command}"—the latter to illustrate how the recently tweaked dialog can efficiently find things all by itself. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up