INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Many Of You Make Compilations?  (Read 1179 times)

Rusty

• Recent member
  • Seek & Ye Shall Find ...
How Many Of You Make Compilations?
« on: March 20, 2003, 03:12:37 am »

Hello Reader - I would like to guess that all of us make Compilation CD's using various music file formats e.g. mixed files of MP3, APE, WAV, OGG,WMA etc.

Aren't you all just more than a little upset that you can't simply & adequately "Volume Level" all these various files before you commit them to CD?

Remember when you used to make compilation Cassette tapes?  You had a set of Meters (Left & Right)etc, to help you determine what the peak was & you could easily adjust your input volume level to suit ... So why can't we have something simple built into MJ to easily do the same thing ... Surely we  ALL make compilation CD's ... I just can't understand why you all haven't been very vocal about this PROBLEM ??!!

I have been told that you can do it in MC ... but from what I have been told it is exactly the same process that can already be performed in MJ (that Jim H didn't seem to know anything about). It is a time consuming process that I don't really think works all that well - if at all.

You have to analyse eack tracks Replay Gain, then set a figure of say +9 in the Replay Gain box in DSP, then change your "Playback" setting from "Wave Out (Default)" to "Disk Writer" then play/record each track. Re-import them all (loosing all but your track & artist info which is now grouped together) & put them into a Playlist to be burnt.  But after all that I've found on many occasion that there are still quite a number of volume differences between some tracks ... so it's not all that effective after all that messing around.  Not Impressed.

Is there an answer to all this ... PLEASE? ... as to my knowledge, no other music handling software can do this very thing either?  I thought MJ's aim was to be the best ...  ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: How Many Of You Make Compilations?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 08:11:33 am »

I make mixes all the time with MC 9, and I love that Replay Gain is built into the burner.

Works like a charm for me...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gkerber

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 08:09:17 pm »

Reply Gain and other schemes may be better than nothing, but, they will never be a perfect solution.  Measured volume vs perceived volume are very different things.

Some tracks should be lower or higher in volume than others, most of these methods would eliminate that desired difference.

In the end, all you have is your ear....

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2003, 12:27:19 am »

I have been told that you can do it in MC ... but from what I have been told it is exactly the same process that can already be performed in MJ (that Jim H didn't seem to know anything about). It is a time consuming process that I don't really think works all that well - if at all.  

You have to analyse eack tracks Replay Gain, then set a figure of say +9 in the Replay Gain box in DSP, then change your "Playback" setting from "Wave Out (Default)" to "Disk Writer" then play/record each track. Re-import them all (loosing all but your track & artist info which is now grouped together) & put them into a Playlist to be burnt.  But after all that I've found on many occasion that there are still quite a number of volume differences between some tracks ... so it's not all that effective after all that messing around.  Not Impressed.  

I told you it was a time consuming procedure in MJ8, but it MC9 it was mostly automated. In MC9:
Turn on "Analyse Audio during Ripping"
Turn on "Apply DSP effects to the CD" and set your level.
These steps need only be done once.

Then:
Rip your source CD's.
Burn to a compilation.

If you already have a library of files, select them all and do "Analyse Audio" overnight.

It works fine for me. Have you actually tried it?

Rusty

• Recent member
  • Seek & Ye Shall Find ...
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2003, 03:17:27 am »

Thanks for all your comments ... No I haven't tried MC9, I have seen a few too many adverse comments so far & have also been concerned about the "What if I need to go back to MJ8" side of things.

As I haven't tried MC9 ... I can't really comment. Volume adjustment when making compilations is important (just like it was when we made them using cassettes) & I can only hope that MC9 has been designed to handle the process adequately.

Regards - Rusty
Pages: [1]   Go Up