INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track based volume leveling of sequential album tracks is jarring  (Read 1436 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day

I usually have this set for Track leveling, since I'm usually listening to smartlists, and not as frequently to full albums.

However, today, I was just listening to some ransom stuff while cleaning up some tags, and ended up playing The Dark Side of the Moon in full.  When it changes from track 1 to 2, the volume drops quite noticeably.  This isn't unexpected, since it's set for track based normalization; but on this album (and many others), it really takes a lot away from the experience.

I know I can change it to Album based, and I just did, but I'll probably forget to change it back to Track based when I'm done :)

I'm wondering if it might make sense to have a way to minimize/eliminate this leveling if it's going sequentially thru an album?  We already have an option for "Use gapless for sequential album tracks", so maybe the volume leveling can be ignored here also.  Clearly we already agree there are times where playing an album sequentially calls for special treatment ;)

Not a huge deal, but put on your headphones and listen for yourself, and hopefully you'll agree  ;D
pretend this is something funny

r_harms

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Track based volume leveling of sequential album tracks is jarring
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 08:26:18 pm »

This does seem like a good idea. I've noticed the same thing with several albums. Dynamic volume is one of my favorite features when using near random playlists and your idea would offer more automation when we listen to an entire album.

If it's not a large deal to implement I would sure second this excellent suggestion!

Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up