INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVDs lost dialogue/center channel  (Read 1338 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
DVDs lost dialogue/center channel
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:42:54 pm »

A few weeks or months ago my HTPC stopped playing dialogue.  It is a simple setup with only stereo enabled (in control panel) and only stereo attached, no center channel or other channels.  I have looked through all the settings but cannot find the setting that needs changed to restore the center channel getting mixed into L and R.

Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DVDs lost dialogue/center channel
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:45:02 pm »

Try this:

DSP Studio > Output Format
1) 2 Channels
2) JRSS mixing

My guess is that you have JRSS turned off.  This is a common problem, making me think we need to make disabling up and down mixing more hidden.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

benn600

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 10:39:06 am »

That did it.  Thanks, Matt!  I had tried turning output format off but not adjusting those options.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 10:45:48 am »

Glad that got you going.

Had you disabled JRSS, or just never configured the number of output channels?

benn600

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:20:17 am »

I don't think I touched the output format setting, this is a HTPC so I don't use it with a mouse and keyboard very often.  I do have auto-updating enabled, though.  My best guess is that a month or two ago an update triggered something--although I certainly could have adjusted this too, I really can't know for sure.

I am pleased to be able to watch all DVDs now, rather than only stereo mixed titles.

benn600

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 02:42:24 pm »

Oddly, this keeps resetting or breaking.  Whenever I play a DVD I have to fiddle with these settings.  I keep automatic updates enabled so I am up to the latest version.  I login to this system via Logmein and almost always end up reverting to VLC so I can play a DVD and hear the dialogue.  With enough adjustments I can get it working but usually for just one DVD, it gets messed up each time around.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 05:17:22 pm »

I guess I don't fully understand this part of the setup either.

To me, the voices (center channel) are not as loud as it should be - and not as loud as the movie sound effects/music.

I currently have DSS set to "Source number of Channels". I have send everything via HDMI to Onkyo TX705 AVR with 7.1 speaker setup. I do not use Bitstreaming (but it does work if selected).

I thought "Source number of Channels" was play back whatever the source material is (2Ch, 5.1, or 7.1) through my 7.1 system using whatever speakers are needed (2 or 5.1 or 7.1 depending on source). However that setup doesn't seem to optimize the center channel when DVDs or 2Chn MKVs are played. It seems the old movies and TV Shows (and some 5.1 DVDs) have low voulme on voices, but most of the 5.1 and 7.1 stuff works as expected.

So, should I set it up as "7.1" since that is the speaker setup I have, or should I use the "5.1 channels (inside 7.1 Channel container)" since 90% of my movies are 5.1?  Or maybe just use Room Correction and just increase the volume on the Center speaker.

Your advice is appreciated.

Edit: I meant DSP not DSS

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 10:36:38 am »

To me, the voices (center channel) are not as loud as it should be - and not as loud as the movie sound effects/music.

I currently have DSS set to "Source number of Channels".

This means your AVR is doing upmixing / downmixing, and the levels are up to the AVR.

We recommend using JRSS:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup
Pages: [1]   Go Up