INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver and multi Room Streaming can it and if so how?  (Read 4284 times)

wytco0

• Recent member
JRiver and multi Room Streaming can it and if so how?
« on: March 06, 2012, 05:42:48 pm »

Hi All new member please be gentle.

I have been reading about JRiver MC on computer Audiophile and as a result I downloaded a trial version to play with on my laptop.

I love the look and feel of the program and from just playing with a few media files onm my laptop I like the way it handles data.

However I am interested in using something like JRiver to play HD audio to several different audio players in my house.

My question is can JR MC be used to stream audio to devices? if so which devices are best to receive the streams? I have DACs already so I am looking for something like a Squeezebox touch to take the stream. Can this be done? Can JR sync between devices?

Any pointers to help me research this further would be appreciated.

Jonathan DA

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: JRiver and multi Room Streaming can it and if so how?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 08:07:00 pm »

Yes, it can distribute music via DLNA to media extenders, or it can act as a more traditional multi-room audio system.  You can get an overview of all the capabilities here http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Network

Best of luck,

Jonathan

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 08:28:25 pm »

Jonathan,

Welcome.

Any UPNP or DLNA "renderer" or "player" will work. 

With Whitebear And Logitech Servers running in the background, MC can easily stream to Squeezeboxes.

You can stream directly to iOS devices with the PlugPlayer app.

The SB Touch is a great value.  We had MC streaming three different lossless FLAC streams, two wireless and one to the Juli@ soundcard in machine MC installed in.  I tried Plugplayer while we had local and Squeezebox Touch rolling different music and all three were seamless.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

wytco0

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 06:01:28 am »

Thanks for the info and links.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:50:17 am »

Note that J River won't be able to sync between distinct DLNA devices, it will stream to them independently and there is no guarantee they'll be in sync. This is a problem with DLNA itself. The only way you could do it if something like an Airplay device, or a Squeezebox or similar, is able to do the syncing itself with others.  So you stream to only one device from J River and then that device controls the others.

You will only get syncing from J River in direct outputs from the PC, from internal sounds cards etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up