INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some help with expression needed.  (Read 1188 times)

SkGe

• Galactic Citizen
Some help with expression needed.
« on: March 06, 2012, 01:16:52 pm »

I try to add some new expression where i want to have:
The date when the song was play;
Some sort of history of the song when i have the date of play.
I try in some ways but i didn't find too much to help in this matter, maybe some with better at the expertise on expression can give me a hand.
TY
PS
As an example i want to do in this way:
1. play on [insert date]
2. play on [insert date]
and so on...

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Some help with expression needed.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 06:33:55 am »

What is it you want to do? There are fields already for Last played and Number of Plays.

You can see when any file was played last. And you can see how many times a file was played.
What else do you need?

Don

SkGe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 06:39:18 am »

I know both of that fields.
What do i want is if this possible to add some new field with date when that file was played.
As a last played is just only overwrite the last play so if you play let say one song in 2010 and you play again in 2012 the last date remain till is again overwrite by another play.
And about the number of play is just add numbers to that song from 1 to how many time you listen that song.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 09:49:08 am »

So you want a list of all the times a song has played, not just the last time?

Like a comments field that shows each play separated by a delimiter?
Like Comments: Jun2,1997;Sept14.2005;Dec27,2011; etc?

Maybe there is a expression that adds to a field's data instead of overwriting it.

I am sure several folks are looking around for you. :)

Don

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 10:49:24 am »

You'll have to do this manually each time you play a track, as there are no triggering mechanisms for running some expression to update a field (such as end of track playback).

If you're interested in doing this manually, an expression can be created that you can paste into a field, to take the current field's values and prefix/append today's date.  You could do this at one shot for all tracks at the end of playback of a playlist, for example.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

SkGe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 02:49:54 pm »

What i was afraid it happen :)
I know the one you say can be done on manually but that's a large of work, and i don't bother doing.
Anyhow thanks for some short response on this matter, now i suppose is close  ::)

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 07:01:34 pm »

I know the one you say can be done on manually but that's a large of work, and i don't bother doing.

I like the idea. I've created a [Play History] list field that I'll update as often as I think is necessary with the expression...

=[Last Played] #[Number Plays]; [Play History]

...first selecting files with [Last Played] > the most recent value in [Play History]. Those values will no longer be dates, but the most recent value will still be easy to spot in a sorted list. This will not give me a perfect record of each play of a file, but it will still be a very good historical record of the frequency of play. If I do it monthly, it will record the only play in most cases; otherwise the increase in [Number Plays] since the previous update will indicate the number of plays during the period. Over time, can't imagine that being any less meaningful than a record of every date. The beauty of this is it doesn't matter much if the time between updates varies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up