INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Does Auto Frame Rate Work?  (Read 2182 times)

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
  • True wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
How Does Auto Frame Rate Work?
« on: March 09, 2012, 11:54:16 am »

Every now and again I decide to give the auto frame rate function a try in hope that it has been fixed or improved. To date I have have failed miserably to get it to function at all :( and have too assume that I must be missing something.

Here is what I am doing:

1. Enable automatic display settings changing
2. Set up the desktop frame rates to match my monitors capability
3. Play an mkv file and observe the desktop frame rate for change

What am I missing as I never see the display frame rate change and of course the video is not smooth unless by chance the file being played has a frame rate identical to my default frame rate.
The Future is Remote!

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
Re: How Does Auto Frame Rate Work?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 12:46:20 pm »

It shouldn't be necessary to change anything on you desktop setting, but you do need to verify that you monitor supports the automatic change you are trying to have.

Have you set or is the FPS field for the MKV file populated with the correct FPS?

TLS

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 01:12:49 pm »

It shouldn't be necessary to change anything on you desktop setting, but you do need to verify that you monitor supports the automatic change you are trying to have.

Have you set or is the FPS field for the MKV file populated with the correct FPS?

TLS

Is the FPS field detected & set automatically or is it necessary to input this info manually? 
I have assume until now that the FPS info would be automatically grabbed from the file!

If it is necessary to input the frame rate manually then I may as well stay with setting the frame rate manually via my remote.

BTW
I am not alone in trying to solve this conundrum, I know three other MC17 users that have given up on trying to get it to work, perhaps we can resolve / clarify this issue for the wider community.
The Future is Remote!

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 01:18:33 pm »

Here is what I am doing:

1. Enable automatic display settings changing
2. Set up the desktop frame rates to match my monitors capability
3. Play an mkv file and observe the desktop frame rate for change

As tls62dk says, you need to check the fps for the file and that what it says is correct.  Also, you need to choose the setting for the graphics card which the auto display settings changer will choose.  So, if the mkv is a Blu-Ray rip, the fps should be 24.  You would need to set the FILM settings to 1920x1080x32x24.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 01:29:44 pm »

and to add to that, if you for what ever reason find the FPS field empty, enter the value manually.

TLS

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 02:39:42 pm »

Is the FPS field detected & set automatically or is it necessary to input this info manually? 
I have assume until now that the FPS info would be automatically grabbed from the file!

Are your files imported a while ago? There was a period when the FPS tag wasn't well filled in all cases on import (v16 maybe) so you may have missed out. I think you can select the file and do a 'update library from tags/file' or whatever and you may find it is refilled. Try one or two files first in case it messes up your tags!

SBR

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 03:34:07 pm »

Now I am becoming totally intrigued. 

Seems you guys are not having any issues and yet I have never once managed to get MC to change the frame rate :o

To achieve 23.976 (blu-ray) the AMD CAT driver requires a rate of integer 23 and the one thing I have in common with my colleagues that have the same issue is that we all run with AMD 6000 cards.

OK I'm off to test this again right now on files imported today!
The Future is Remote!

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 04:16:36 pm »

Guys

First of all let me thank you all for your contributions.

With the confidence that it must be working I have tried again and Bingo, works as advertised :-[

Now I promise you all, I have tried this facility at least four times before with four different MC revisions back dating to MC16 and never once did I manage to get MC to change my extended monitor refresh rate. I admit this is the first time I have tried it with .103, as I recall the last time was with ~.93

I can only assume each time I tried I either screwed up in some way (not sure there is much to screw up) or the particular versions I used had an issue.

I am now going to pass along the good news to my friends and hopefully we can all finally take advantage of this excellent facility.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.
The Future is Remote!
Pages: [1]   Go Up