INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: basic question about output sample rate setting  (Read 1494 times)

Skidood

• Recent member
basic question about output sample rate setting
« on: March 09, 2012, 08:18:20 pm »

I have "no change" selected for all input sample rates.
Is there any audible advantage to changing the settings to a higher rate?
Is there a re-sampling going on even if set for no change?
I dont understand why there would be a re-sampling ..wouldn't you be re-sampling an signal thats already digital?
So for example, if re-sampling at 3X the rate of the original, wouldn't two thirds of the bits in the ouput be completely redundant and irrelevant as they would not change for 2 consecutive samples?

Skidood

• Recent member
Re: basic question about output sample rate setting
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 02:11:06 pm »

Also wanted to ask, does this setting come into play when simply listening to audio?  Or is it for things like ripping a CD which converts the files to .ape?
Thanks in advance.

Bow

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 02:18:52 pm »

>Is there a re-sampling going on even if set for no change?<
I think there is, see my post

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 03:01:23 pm »

Is there any audible advantage to changing the settings to a higher rate?
No up-sampling is done for compatibility purposes, quality is unchanged, it is the equivalent to converting an MP3 to wav which will still be mp3 quality.
Is there a re-sampling going on even if set for no change?
No, the whole 64bit confuses people into thinking something is being changed but it is being processed/decoded in a 64bit environment but the actual file remains in it's native format.
I am sure it is far more technical than that but that is the gist of it non the less.
Sean

Bow

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 03:56:50 pm »

The reason i claim that internal re-sampling is always working is that will allow a relatively lossless volume control if the volume control operates in the 64 bit "domain".
That should be relatively easy to check if it is possible to redirect the output from MC normally going to sound card to a file and do a filecompare afterwards.
I mean if the original and the output file is the same there have been no loss of quality in the internal mixers (up/downconverters).
Must admit i don't know MC so good so I can check that and be sure if the internal mixers is activated + any kind of volume control or volume leveling should be set so they don't interfere.

Skidood

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 04:15:46 pm »

The reason i claim that internal resampling is always working is that will allow a relatively lossless volume control if the volume control operates in the 64 bit "domain".
That should be relatively easy to check if it is possible to redirect the output from MC normally going to sound card to a file and do a filecompare afterwards.
I mean if the original and the output file is the same there have been no loss of quality in the internal mixers (up/downconverters).
Must admit i dont know MC so good so I can check that and be sure if the internal mixers is activated.

Hmm...just had a thought....maybe turning upsampling ON will improve sound quality only when I have effects enabled like EQ or room compensation, as obviously the data from the original sound file will be essentially re-written and sent to the output.  If the output sample rate is set to better than the input, then, maybe the effect I am running now has the addded "room" (think bandwidth)  to add "complexity"  to the signal, so in that case it could actually sound better than using the same sample rate.

Bow

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 04:48:44 pm »

Some people claim that their DAC (in whatever form it is connected or build or whatever) sounds better if they up-convert to the max the DAC can accept, and that's w/o using any ("DSP") effect.
If you use the room correction on top of that it may very well give you better overall results especially if you have a difficult room in my experience why many lightening's room are quite square (nearly same size for the two walls) and that will give standing waves.(if distance to ceiling is near the same length as for the walls you really could have a problem).
Room correction together with damping (thick carpet etc.) can give you very good results.
The issue I am bringing up in this forum in my other post is nothing compared to what a bad room can do.
So I suggest you give it a try activating one thing after another when playing uncompressed music (ex.from a ripped CD), give your self good time to find out if your latest settings really makes the sound better + if you own or can borrow some highend and/or revealing  headphones you can make the first settings with them to ensure a good foundation before making the room correction. (better cheap relatively revealing phones like ex. Roland RH25 than no phones)
If you can get rew to work that is a nice tool (and cheap tool)  so you don't make room correction only by ears, you will maybe need them to fine tune after rew.
But be warned it can be difficult to get rew to work.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/11707-room-eq-wizard-rew-information-index-links-guides-technical-articles-please-read.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up