INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nested Panes Request  (Read 1072 times)

locust

• Citizen of the Universe
Nested Panes Request
« on: March 12, 2012, 07:04:52 pm »

Right now if you make a nested pane for example,

[Places]\[People];[People]\[Places]&datatype=[LIST]

You will get virtual folder hierarchy

If you use this expression in a drop down pane and search for any criteria in the pane search bar it will only search the top level. Could search be changed so that it will look at all levels of virtual folder hierarchy?

Thanks

rick.ca

Re: Nested Panes Request
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 10:43:57 pm »

You're not using the correct expression. We discussed this before...

A more interesting question is how to create a nested list from [Genre] and [Styles], where the latter is a list-type field. ListBuild won't work because it will only combine [Genre] with the first item in [Styles]. Other style values will be listed separately, not nested under genre. This is what I came up with...

Replace(•Replace([Styles], ; , •), •, ;[Genre]\)&datatype=[list]

This first replaces the ';' delimiter in [Styles] with '•', and also places one in front of the first value (i.e., so each value becomes '•style'). Then the '•' is replaced with ';' (to restore the delimiter) and '[Genre]\'. The result is a delimited list of [Genre]\[Styles].

Or you might find this easier to understand...

[Genre]\Replace([Styles], ; , ;[Genre]\)&DataType=[List]

So, to nest [People] within [Places]...

[Places]\Replace([People], ; , ;[People]\)&DataType=[List]

and if you really want [Places]\[People] and [People]\[Places] in the same pane, just combine them...

[Places]\Replace([People], ; , ;[People]\);[People]\Replace([Places], ; , ;[People]\)&DataType=[List]

If you want to handle cases where either are empty, you'll have to be more elaborate.

locust

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:55:04 am »

Sorry about that huge mistake. I was just quickly jotting that down to make a point.

Even with a proper expression for instance the one you helped me with before
Replace(;[Style], ;, ;[Genre]\)&datatype=[list]

When a dropdown panes are used and you search in the panes' search bar it will only search for Genres not styles. Would it be possible to get the search function to delve deeper into the hierarchy?

One stumbling block I can see is that say I have the Genre Rock and I search Rock. Because it is at the top of the hierarchy, should it include all the entries nested under even though those style names don't contain the work "Rock"?

Thanks Rick  :)

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 02:34:08 pm »

When a dropdown panes are used and you search in the panes' search bar it will only search for Genres not styles. Would it be possible to get the search function to delve deeper into the hierarchy?

Anything is possible, but I doubt that will ever happen. That's provided only as a mechanism to make selecting a value in a dropdown list a little easier. It's not even available for some expression-type categories. Needing to find values in a particular category would be a reason for using a separate pane—rather than nesting it under another (although you could still do both).
Pages: [1]   Go Up