INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No sound on playback of .wtv files  (Read 2130 times)

stewart_pk

• Citizen of the Universe
No sound on playback of .wtv files
« on: March 13, 2012, 01:06:42 am »

As the title suggests and I'd prefer to use J River to play them back rather than Windows MC
Playing back recordings of channel 9 here in Australia there is no problem, I get sound.
But when playing back recordings of One HD there is no sound
Perhaps I can supply a sample file?

Thanks for the best MC product!

stewart_pk

Re: No sound on playback of .wtv files
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 10:06:17 pm »

BUMP!

Happy to email a sample file for the developers, if that's OK?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 12:16:44 pm »

can you confirm the files that play with no sound in MC actually play with sound in another program?  if not, bad files.

if so, that's strange.  I play .wtv files all the time in MC, so I know it works.  Perhaps it's different for non-US files for some reason, but I doubt that.

The next thing I always do whenever I see 'weird' issue like this is to restart the machine, and make sure they play correctly locally (NOT over the network).

if you still have trouble, maybe the MediaInfo for the trouble file will help identify the problem.
pretend this is something funny

stewart_pk

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:35:21 pm »

Yes they play with sound using Windows Media Center which is what created the .wtv file(s) in the first place.
By the way, if another program doesn't play them with sound too, that still doesn't mean the files are bad.
Perhaps a program other than J River MC also has an "issue" and doesn't play them with sound too.

Yes I have restarted my computer.

What is the "MediaInfo"?
More importantly how is it/this going to help me?

I think I should email a sample file to the developers so they can test it; or am I just being weird?

Thanks for your reply.

NickF

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 02:41:51 am »

There are some drm issues with .wtv, particularly with HD.  I am not an expert but I have read that the files can be set to only play on the PC where they were created.  If played on a different PC, there is no sound.  I have had this happen frequently.  I think the decision is made by the TV company when the program is transmitted so it may not happen with all files.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10
Pages: [1]   Go Up