INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Search entire library, Not just focused list  (Read 1436 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Search entire library, Not just focused list
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:47:33 pm »

Hi everyone!

I have always wondered why search only searches what is focused on the screen.

For example, if I am listening to Frank Zappa and that playlist is on the screen, if I type "John Zorn" in the search field, it doesn't return any results.

Is there a way to set Search settings so it always looks at all of my audio?  I never use search for this reason as I am rarely focused on my entire library.

Thanks a bunch!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

wig

• MC Beta Team
Re: Search entire library, Not just focused list
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 05:38:12 am »

Hi everyone!

I have always wondered why search only searches what is focused on the screen.

For example, if I am listening to Frank Zappa and that playlist is on the screen, if I type "John Zorn" in the search field, it doesn't return any results.

Is there a way to set Search settings so it always looks at all of my audio?  I never use search for this reason as I am rarely focused on my entire library.
P
Thanks a bunch!
Patrick

Use the keyboard shortcut CTRL + F to search the entire library. CTRL + Shift + F will start an advanced search of the entire library.

Happy searching.

pcstockton

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:49:56 am »

Thanks Wig!

Can I "force" the search bar to have this property permanently?

Often I have friends over and they never find anything because they use the search box.  No one thinks to click on "Audio" first then start a search. 

Cheers,
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:47:34 am »

Can I "force" the search bar to have this property permanently?

Often I have friends over and they never find anything because they use the search box.  No one thinks to click on "Audio" first then start a search. 

Not to my knowledge. Global search would be nice; or maybe a prompt to expand the search beyond the current list.

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 03:01:13 pm »

Gotcha,

I guess I will just make people use the JRemote app on my iPad.  The search feature there is not focus dependent.

Thanks again!

If anyone else has another way to do this other than JRemote, I am all ears.

Thanks!
patrick

Sauzee

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 04:16:43 pm »

Use the keyboard shortcut CTRL + F to search the entire library. CTRL + Shift + F will start an advanced search of the entire library.

Happy searching.

Control F only searches the view I'm in now.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 04:32:29 pm »

You're correct, I should have wrote that it searches all the files in the current view, not the entire library.

That's what happens when I post too early in the morning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up