INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable Installation Keeps Reverting to Trial  (Read 2172 times)

locust

• Citizen of the Universe
Portable Installation Keeps Reverting to Trial
« on: November 28, 2011, 02:27:49 pm »

Hi my Portable Installation Keeps Reverting back to Trial mode.. How can I stop this? I don't really want to generate a new licence file because at this rate I'll run out my 10 free generations by next month..

How does the portable installation work anyway?? It worked fine until I plugged the thumbdrive into my netbook that doesn't have J River installed on it then I plugged it back into my main machine and it is back on trial.. I know you have to have a licensed version of MC on the machine where you made the portable installation. But does that mean that every computer I plug the portable installation into has to have a licensed copy of MC on it?? If it is, doesn't that kind of beat the meaning of portable? What is the point in having the portable installation if you can't only use it on a computer that has MC already on it?

I looked on the Purchase and License Recovery page and it said

My system is suddenly not registered
The most common cause of this is changing the system name.

What does that mean?? My computers name? or the name of my library?

Also how many computers  can I install MC on? And does it matter of two or more installations are on different IP addresses, i.e work computer..

Thanks for your help..

Lasse_Lus

Re: Portable Installation Keeps Reverting to Trial
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 03:11:24 am »

are you sure you have not copied or moved any files (part of the MC installation) ?
MT5FR

locust

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:44:55 am »

Hi Lasse_Lus

I have both versions, 16 & 17 installed with licences on my main computer in the program files folder on the c drive..

I put the portable installations on my thumbdrive and they worked fine at this point.. Until I plugged them into my netbook.

It it true that whatever computer you run the portable version of MC that there already has to be a licensed copy on that machine
I am a little confused as to how the licencing works.. How many machines can I install MC on?

Thanks

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:58:33 am »

Quote from: brian0001

Is it true that whatever computer you run the portable version of MC that there already has to be a licensed copy on that machine

no then it's not portable, i have not experienced this. i will try to reproduce this and come back to you in a couple of days
MT5FR

locust

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 08:28:50 am »

Thank you Lasse_Lus

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 09:30:07 am »

Certainly didn't use to work this way.  I'm falling behind on MC at the moment, just not had much time recently and am living in a mad house, but with my MC16 installation I can definitely use it on non registered machines.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 09:33:14 am »

I think he licensed the portable installation incorrectly.

I've never done this, but I think the way it works is this:

1. You have to have installed and registered a copy of MC (non-portable, regular installation) on a computer.
2. You then use THAT computer to install the Portable copy onto your USB drive (or whatever).  That's right, you "install" MC on a computer that already has a copy installed and licensed, you just pick "portable" this time and install it somewhere else.
3. That copy will retain the licensing.
4. If you want to update the portable install to a new build, you go back to the computer in step #1 and update it using that computer.

If you don't do step 1 first, then you'll end up with trial mode portable installations.

As far as your other question, you are allowed to install MC "normally" on the computers you own and use personally without buying additional licenses.  So, for example, a home desktop machine and a HTPC or laptop would be fine.  That's the purpose of the ten restores per year (and to allow for additional nuke/paves on temperamental windows machines).

The way I divide it is that for my machines I use at the office, I've bought a second license of MC for those machines, because they are "owned" by my company, not me.  For my machines that I own personally and use at home, I use my "personal" license for MC.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 09:57:55 am »

Quote from: glynor

I've never done this, but I think the way it works is this:

1. You have to have installed and registered a copy of MC (non-portable, regular installation) on a computer.
2. You then use THAT computer to install the Portable copy onto your USB drive (or whatever).  That's right, you "install" MC on a computer that already has a copy installed and licensed, you just pick "portable" this time and install it somewhere else.
3. That copy will retain the licensing.
4. If you want to update the portable install to a new build, you go back to the computer in step #1 and update it using that computer.

If you don't do step 1 first, then you'll end up with trial mode portable installations.

correct, glynor
MT5FR

locust

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 02:46:37 pm »

I think I did do it according to your steps. I did it two times & on the second I installed mc on the unregistered computer as well to see if that helped....

I think I'll just have to redo it and see if I did it wrong, I'll uninstall mc off the netbook and clean the registry and try again, if I keep getting problems I'll post back.

Thanks

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 02:13:55 pm »

tried now brian, works here..
MT5FR

MusicMon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 07:18:31 pm »

I have MC 17 installed on my computer. Yesterday I decided to install a portable version. I downloaded a new key today. Now the portable version gives error message 21 and does not take the new key and my desktop gives error message that my key is expired and does not take the new key. Otherwise I am have a great day:-)

MusicMon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 09:34:00 pm »

I ran a check disk on win 7. I started MC17 and restored key. it took the registration key. Everything is running fine now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up