INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [REQUEST] Audio Mapping  (Read 4422 times)

HollowMac

• Recent member
[REQUEST] Audio Mapping
« on: March 21, 2012, 10:15:22 am »

Hi,

I have currently an advanced sound card (RME Fireface 400) and I wondered if it was possible to add an audio mapping in DSP options like in Foobar :

Or live in the superb software TotalMix of RME :

Thus it permits to send channels to any audio output, and even to use multiple audio cards in an multichannel configuration.
This would allow a very thorough and flexible configuration :)

Best Regards.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: [REQUEST] Audio Mapping
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 10:28:19 am »

hey,

im curious what you try to achieve.. im using the 800 for several years now, i enjoy it very much.

and are you really using asio 4 all with such a nice card.. i think the asio drivers from rme are nice..

:)
gab

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 10:45:57 am »

I agree with Gappie that you should be using the RME ASIO drivers. ASIO4ALL is a wrapper over kernel streaming and isn't necessary.

You can use the Parametric Equalizer DSP and Mix Channels to reroute channels within the same audio card. Several are using this for active digital crossovers or multiple subwoofer setups. However, you can't mix channels across various audio cards.

gappie

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 10:53:08 am »

You can use the Parametric Equalizer DSP and Mix Channels to reroute channels within the same audio card. Several are using this for active digital crossovers or multiple subwoofer setups. However, you can't mix channels across various audio cards.
yes.. and why i asked what you wanted to achieve, is that the matrix/mixer from the rme is so flexible with its presets and stuff that some things could be so nicely handled using the card itself.  :)

HollowMac

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 11:02:36 am »

Hi,

I don't use ASIO 4 ALL. The screenshot is an example. I use RME ASIO drivers.

Actually, I can't use virtual outputs (ADAT) of my RME cards. With the RME driver, only analogs output can be configured as 5.1. If I choose a virtual output in J River Media Center, I can only have 2.0. With an audio mapping in J River Media Center, it will be possible to send for example :

Left Channel to ADAT 1
Right Channel to ADAT 2
Center Channel to ADAT 3
Subwoofer Channel to ADAT 4
Surround Left Channel to ADAT 5
Surround Right Channel to ADAT 6
etc.

It is an example. Audio mapping could allow to use multiple audio cards like this :
Left Channel to Output 1 of Card 1
Right Channel to Output 2 of Card 1
Center Channel to Output 1 of Card 2
Subwoofer Channel to Output 2 of Card 2
Surround Left Channel to Output 1 of Card 3
Surround Right Channel to Output 2 of Card 3
etc.

To finish, I use currently vibrators in my Home-Cinema (5.1) and I have to parameter 7.1 in J River Media Center to can send audio signal to my vibrators. But in this configuration, my vibrators receives also the signal of back surrounds of 7.1. Audio mapping could allow to send for example the subwoofer channel to the output connected to my subwoofer and to the output connected to my vibrators.

edit : in the TotalMix matrix of RME, the audio mapping performs after that the signal was be modified. Include an audio mapping in J River Media Center could allow to route channels before applies modifications (equalizer, etc.) to them. ;)

Best Regards ;)

gappie

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 11:11:57 am »

To finish, I use currently vibrators in my Home-Cinema (5.1) and I have to parameter 7.1 in J River Media Center to can send audio signal to my vibrators. But in this configuration, my vibrators receives also the signal of back surrounds of 7.1. Audio mapping could allow to send for example the subwoofer channel to the output connected to my subwoofer and to the output connected to my vibrators.

edit : in the TotalMix matrix of RME, the audio mapping performs after that the signal was be modified. Include an audio mapping in J River Media Center could allow to route channels before applies modifications (equalizer, etc.) to them. ;)

Best Regards ;)
but why not use 5.1. and map the subwoofer to the vibrators. i would not use the matrix to achieve that, but the mixer with submix enabled.. choose the output to the vibrator and send only the subwoofer signal..

HollowMac

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 11:17:48 am »

I have to send to my vibrators only sound below 20Hz, while my subwoofer has to go up 80Hz ;) So I make this with VST plugins in J River Media Center. I can't make this in TotalMix otherwise my vibrators and my subwoofer will plays the same signal (until 20Hz or 80 Hz).

gappie

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 11:20:23 am »

I have to send to my vibrators only sound below 20Hz, while my subwoofer has to go up 80Hz ;) So I make this with VST plugins in J River Media Center. I can't make this in TotalMix otherwise my vibrators and my subwoofer will plays the same signal (until 20Hz or 80 Hz).
well.. then use the audio mapping as suggested by mojave.  :)

HollowMac

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 11:21:00 am »

I tested to route channels with the parametric equalizer, but it is limited : I can only route channels between them, and not route channels to outputs. So, I can route left channel to right channel for example, but I can't route left channel to the Ouput 3 of my sound card, and right channel to the Output 7 of my sound card. ;)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 11:24:39 am »

I tested to route channels with the parametric equalizer, but it is limited : I can only route channels between them, and not route channels to outputs. So, I can route left channel to right channel for example, but I can't route left channel to the Ouput 3 of my sound card, and right channel to the Output 7 of my sound card. ;)

You can only route to active channels, so you just need to output 8 channels in DSP Studio > Output Format > Channels.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HollowMac

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 12:31:12 pm »

Yes :) But for example, with RME Sound Cards, we have virtual outputs (ADAT). If I choose the output "ADAT 1+2", I can only have a 2.0 output format. But I have 8 virtual (ADAT) outputs. With an audio mapping, I could map Left Channel to ADAT 1, Right Channel to ADAT 2, Center Channel to ADAT 3, etc.

It would permit to route channels to any outputs of an audio card. Currently, we can only route 8 channels for example if we have select an output channel which accept 8 channels. But if it not the case (this output accept only 2 channels), we can't have a 7.1 system. Audio mapping resolve this problem by permit to select any output for any channel ;)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 12:59:12 pm »

But if it not the case (this output accept only 2 channels)

I don't think I understand.

If you only have two outputs, you don't have outputs to handle music (2.0 or more) and bass shakers at the same time.  You'll need hardware with more outputs.

If you do have enough outputs, you can fill any output channel with any information using Parametric Equalizer.  Parametric Equalizer also contains virtual user channels if you need to mix outside the available channels.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gappie

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 04:12:34 pm »

Yes :) But for example, with RME Sound Cards, we have virtual outputs (ADAT). If I choose the output "ADAT 1+2", I can only have a 2.0 output format. But I have 8 virtual (ADAT) outputs. With an audio mapping, I could map Left Channel to ADAT 1, Right Channel to ADAT 2, Center Channel to ADAT 3, etc.

but that is not how the rme card works... you can just use the asio of the fireface with an ofset of 0 and use the mixer to send to any adat or analoge channel you want..

gab

HollowMac

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 04:13:47 am »

To can use an external software to use VST plugins, I have to route channels to ADAT outputs in J River Media Center, and then route ADAT outputs  to Analog outputs in TotalMix.

gappie

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 04:34:00 am »

To can use an external software to use VST plugins, I have to route channels to ADAT outputs in J River Media Center, and then route ADAT outputs  to Analog outputs in TotalMix.
could you explain that more clearly.. totalmix is always 'in between' the softwareoutput and outputs of the card. totalmix controls the card.

HollowMac

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 05:18:54 am »

As a picture is better than many words ;) :

gappie

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 11:18:08 am »

As a picture is better than many words ;) :

first i need to make clear that im not against routing options in mc...  :)  i just want to help to get your setup running like you want.

but one of the reasons people choose for a fireface is its routing possibilities.. those things are made for recording studios. here is a tutorial of totalmix  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwoKoxYfzds for those interested.

you want add a vst to the signal! why dont you just import the vst via manage plugins into mc..

and why is it not working the way you set it up in the image?

gab

edit: and i just noticed, that is a hdsp mixer... thought you had a fireface...  :)

edit II: i just changed the post..

HollowMac

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 10:48:19 pm »

The screenshot is not coming from my audio card, but it resumes the routing of sound that I have to make to use ADAT outputs in an software. ;)

Actually, it can't work like in the image, because if I choose a duo ADAT output (ADAT 1+2 for example) in J River Media Center, I can only have a 2.0 system. The 5.1 or 7.1 with RME soundcards is only configured on outputs Analog 1+2. I will make a screenshot this week-end.

I can use VST plugins directly into J River Media Center, but with an external VST host software, I can make a lot of things with the audio mapping of outputs. An example :

I will test this week-end the Parametric Equalizer of J River Media Center with virtual user channels.
Pages: [1]   Go Up