INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuck at 44.1 Hz Sampling Rate  (Read 1717 times)

Houckster

• Junior Woodchuck
Stuck at 44.1 Hz Sampling Rate
« on: March 27, 2012, 08:27:12 pm »

I have a DACMagic taking the USB output from my computer (Windows 7 Pro) and tonight I bought some 96/24 FLAC files (Diana Krall) from HDTracks and played them on Media Center 17 only to find out that the DAC is only detecting a 44.1 sampling rate. I have looked at a number of places and haven't found an answer yet. I checked MC17's DSP Studio settings and files at a 96000 Hz sample rate are set to output at 192,000 Hz.  Bit depth is set to 24.

MC17 reports Enabled and processing at 192 kHz 64bit 2ch

Any ideas why?

pacwin

• Recent member
Re: Stuck at 44.1 Hz Sampling Rate
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 08:53:25 pm »

Any ideas why?

Dac Magic USB is limited to 44.1kHz, 48kHz for USB connections see (http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/specifications.php?PID=320&Title=Specifications ). You would need to input via coax or optical to get higher input sample rates and even then these top out at 96/24 and so you dont want JRiver to push them any higher. If you want your best effort over USB you will have to downsample in JRiver to 48Khz.

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:58:03 pm »

Any ideas why?

Most likely the USB interface of your computer. Or the DACMagic is limited (my guess). Just because MC is set up to transmit and upsample to 192K (not sure why you want to do that - and that could also be contributing to the problem) but I am guessing the USB is the culprit.

VP

Houckster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:06:29 pm »

Thanks for your help.

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 07:43:57 am »

I’m afraid your setup is not the best one for sound quality.

The DAC Magic USB is limited to 16/44
You set MC to up-sample.
As the DAC do play at 44 the Win mixer is down-sampling this upsampled data back to 44
2 times resampling is in general detrimental to sound quality.

My advice would be to try WASAPI, this will bypass the Winmixer and the Win resampling completely.
Set MC to resample everything to the rate supported by your DAC.
If you want to hear 24/96 in its native mode you have to buy another DAC or a USB to SPDIF converter as the SPDIF input of your DAC allows for higher sampling rates.

Pages: [1]   Go Up