INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Different Audio Ouputs  (Read 1072 times)

nikto34

• Recent member
Different Audio Ouputs
« on: March 22, 2012, 12:49:18 pm »

Hi, newbie to JRiver here.

I have been using MediaBrowser for my HTPC setup for some time. However, recently was directed to JRiver for experiment. I really like the audio interface and have been experimenting with the interface. My question is: are you able to output the audio from the Audio player to a different source than the Video audio? Here is an example and why I what to do this. I have a separate Home Theater room for watching video which I use my HTPC for. This allows me to output the video and sound through my HDMI connection via my AMD 6790. However, I also have a amplifier setup for whole-home audio distribution. Currently the optical output of my HTPC is connected to this amplifier and I can play music from the HTPC. However, I then can not get sound for my movies and video because JRiver is then sending my audio via the optical output which plays the sound for the movies in my house but not the theater room. What I would like to be able to do is use JRiver to play my movies using the HDMI option and then play my music using the optical output for audio distribution. Ideally, I would like to be able to do these independently so someone could watch a movie in the theater room and listen to music in another part of the house. My System specs are below:

Core i7 2600K
8GB 1600 DDR3
120GB SSD with 1.5 TB HDD 
Blu-Ray burner
AMD 6790 2GB
ASUS ROG GENE-Z MB
Music and movies stored on a separate WHS 2011 machine

I know this may be a somewhat confusing explanation so I can provide more detail if needed. Currently, I just use JRiver to play the music and use Mediabrowser to play movies. However, I would really like to take advantage of the Gizmo app as well and use just one software package to manage my HTPC.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Different Audio Ouputs
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 01:01:50 pm »

Welcome.

We call discrete outputs 'Zones', and Media Center supports any number of zones.

More here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nikto34

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 04:09:22 pm »

Thanks Matt! I will check this out. Appreciate the assistance!

nikto34

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:32:26 pm »

Worked perfectly! Thanks for the clarification.

javidan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 05:50:03 am »

J River's method of calling them "zones" is very common in the non-PC (i.e. Consumer Electronics) world.

I believe a number of Audio/Video Receivers which are capable of playing to different rooms etc use the term "Zones" as well. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up