INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pictures database?  (Read 1417 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Pictures database?
« on: May 07, 2002, 02:08:39 pm »

I seem to recall reading that you might be creating a Pictures database.  Is that still in the works?  Because I am in desparate need of a "picture organizer", and I don't want to buy one from someone else (when it comes to organizational software, I only trust J River).

Jonathan and I were just talking about it, and here is what we cooked up.  You create a playlist of "Spain Pictures", then you link it with MJ's "Latin Music" playlist (or Segovia), then when you browse through your holiday shots, you have the music in the background.  Oh, and of course the entire thing is easily put on the web, by pushing that "Publish to the web" button!

So, what do you say, by the end of June? Next Page
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Pictures database?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2002, 06:28:09 am »

Lise,
Somehow I missed this.  Sorry.  Our picture database is still at the conceptual stage.  We're not certain which direction we'll go.  Nothing new, I guess.

We think we'll have a slideshow plug-in for MJ soon.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the great work on the Help file.

Jim
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

DocLotus

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2002, 10:34:54 am »

I have tried them all (over 40 different image management programs) & ACDSee 4.01 is THE BEST one out there.

* It is very fast.
* It intergrates very nicely into Windows Explorer.
* Handles any graphic formt you can ever think of.
* Has built-in image editor (pretty good one to boot).
* Is avaliable on a 45 day free trail.
* They often have two for one specials... they produce a lot of graphic image programs (editors & the like).
* Support is very good - real people like JRiver.

Their version 2.01 is avaliable for free (by popular demand).  It has most of the features of 4.01 without the image editor.

www.ACDSystems.com

Another pretty good one is... ThumbsPlus

www.cerious.com

Beteen the two I think ACDSee 4.01 is the better program.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2002, 11:30:23 am »

Jim,

I LOVE doing that kind of stuff.  The latest chef d'oeuvres (yikes!) will be availabe very soon.

DocLotus,

Thanks for the info.  I'll give it a spin.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Mysticeti

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2002, 11:35:02 am »

Speaking of pictures...  The picture database I'm most
interested in at the moment is a database of album covers.

If I've already ripped several hundred CDs and want to
collect the cover art for them all what's the best approach?

Thanks!

P.S. The picture topic has come up a couple times in the past.
Once just recently although for the life of me I can't find it
(even after searching for text I think I used in a reply).

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/interact/NeoBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=inter&Post=4270&BoardIdle=7&SortingBy=0&BoardOrder=Descend&Page=0&UserSession=

I think I read somewhere that the "next generation" PVRs from
ReplayTV offer a slide show feature.  If the PVR makers would
only add a firewire or USB2 interface for external hard drives and
licence MJ to do MP3 organization/playback... Of course, the PVR
makers really should have added a CD/DVD player long ago.

mphorton

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2002, 11:42:47 am »

I have both ACDSee and ThumpsPlus. Both are great. ACDSee displays a few less graphic formats (eg .wpg) but has a nicer UI, IMHO. However, I don't use either now that Win xp/Office xp comes with just about as many clipart filters as ACDSee, I can do anything I want from Word or Windows Explorer. I don't know about photo filters though.

Michael

DocLotus

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2002, 11:58:06 am »

After ripping a CD with CDDB I always select the image option from the Internet.  Sometimes there is none available so I then go to...

www.CdCovers.cc

Yse ".cc" & not ".com".  Don't know what "cc" stands for but they have over 95,500 covers & usually have what I am looking for.  They also have back covers & inside covers for a lot of albums.  They have covers for some videos & other music devices.

One item of note is the downloaded covers are much larger then the ones from CDDB.  They are of much higher quality usually, 900 - 1200 DPI where the ones from CDDB are only 300 x 300 dpi.  I use ACDSee 4.01 & the built-in editor to quickly resize them down to 300 x 300 so all my covers will show up in MJ 8 the same size.

The site is pretty easy to get around.  This is a free upload / download site.

Give it a try.  I find it to be most helpful.

Mysticeti

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2002, 01:16:35 pm »

Thanks for the info.

I think the answer (for me) is to go through my library, album by album, and click properties, click the image tab, hit the get button, then hit internet.   If I don't get a match I'll try www.CdCovers.cc

Another question: are there any implications one should know about when storing the image as an attibute of the file?  Obviously there's redundant storage and a (hopefully only) slight increase in disk usage... but has anyone come across any players (including portables) that choke on imbedded images?

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up