INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move entire folders with MC?  (Read 1759 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
Move entire folders with MC?
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:30:26 pm »

I want to copy a bunch of folders with MP3s with a given tag. Moving the MP3s themselfs are no problem, however I want to move the entire folder. The folder has m3us, jpgs and some log-files in addition to mp3s. If I just use the batch-move- function in MC i only move the mp3s.

gappie

Re: Move entire folders with MC?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:47:33 pm »

when you have the explorer enabled (options>general>features) you can use that, under drives and devices. make sure you watch the items in the header.

:)
gab

flac.rules

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 10:37:44 am »

I don't understand? The explorer is for me just like the normal explorer in windows, I can navigate around and move folders and files. But how do i move only the folders with the given tag? on the mp3s?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 10:48:13 am »

I don't understand? The explorer is for me just like the normal explorer in windows, I can navigate around and move folders and files. But how do i move only the folders with the given tag? on the mp3s?

I do not think this is possible since MC is not for folder management - nor does it really care about any other files in a given folder.

Unless you can find a true file management application that can search out the folders based on the actual ID3 tags - I am afraid you may have to go it manually.

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 10:52:15 am »

If you import files, you can do powerful renaming inside Media Center using the library tools.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 11:00:29 am »

I think Matt's idea is very useful, w/one general caveat.  You have to know ahead of time all the file possibilities.  Non-suffixed files (Readme, LICENSE, etc.), files not supported by default (file.md5, etc.), etc. would leave folder's partially copied, and this is likely to cause more headache then its worth (in my opinion).

Probably the best thing in this case might be to create a folder list (via Export) and then batch copy the folders.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

flac.rules

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 03:38:40 pm »

If you import files, you can do powerful renaming inside Media Center using the library tools.
THe problem is that some of the files are not of the type MC imports.

flac.rules

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 03:39:14 pm »

I think Matt's idea is very useful, w/one general caveat.  You have to know ahead of time all the file possibilities.  Non-suffixed files (Readme, LICENSE, etc.), files not supported by default (file.md5, etc.), etc. would leave folder's partially copied, and this is likely to cause more headache then its worth (in my opinion).

Probably the best thing in this case might be to create a folder list (via Export) and then batch copy the folders.
Thanks for the tip, how do i export the folder paths from MC?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 03:58:52 pm »

If you only have a few folders, it will be easier to use Locate > On Disk (external) and move via Explorer.

Otherwise, here are the steps to produce a list of directories from the files you want moved.

1) Create a Playlist.
2) Add the files for folders you want moved.
3) Enter exactly

~nodup=[Filename (path)]

into the Search Wizard to remove the duplicate paths.

4) Remove all the columns from the playlist view, and add only a Filename (path) column.

5) Now, you can either:
  a) File > Export Playlist.... and export as a CSV file, selecting only the displayed columns, and all files.
  b) Select all the tracks and Edit > Copy, and now the Windows clipboard will have the paths which you can paste as needed.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

javidan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 11:11:33 pm »

What I tend to do with movement of folders is to simply use my own file manager (e.g. Windows Explorer, DOpus etc) to move the folders and then use MC to re-import the files to update the links.

MC's database is quite hardy and doesn't tend to get corrupted/break easily.
(i.e. If you did this with Windows Media Center/Player, you're finished. Be prepared to delete your entire DB and start your 12 hours re-import)

If there are so called "broken links", you can use auto import to remove them.

flac.rules

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 12:13:28 pm »

Javidan: The problem is that that will be a big big job to manually lovate every folder I have to move, based on the tagging.

MrC: Thanks, I will try your suggestion, seems like it will solve my problem, not in the optimal way, but not that much more work either :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up