INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which ASRock? Or should I look for something else?  (Read 3214 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Which ASRock? Or should I look for something else?
« on: March 21, 2012, 06:36:53 pm »

Team,

I have read that many in here are using ASRock for HTPC.  I am ready to build up a new box but cant seem to be able to build one like those below for any less.

I was given some advice in some thread to look for either i3 or i5, HD3000, and "Sandy Bridge".   So i am looking at the Asrocks with those three designations.

A little bit about what I want it to do:
- Glitch free playback of ripped video up to BluRay resolution
- Glitch free playback of BluRay disc and normal DVDs.
- Good digital output for Music (can I use my Juli@ with these? or is it not needed?)
- As quiet as possible
- A bit of future proofing wouldn't be bad
- I have ZERO desire for anything 3D
- I dont play PC games.  Well not since my PC became unusable for them.  But not planning on playing any.

The two units are:
1) ASRock CoreHT 252B Intel Core i5 2520M Mobile Sandy Bridge Processor Intel HM65 Intel HD Graphics 3000 - $700
2) ASRock CoreHT 233B Intel Core i3 2330M Mobile Sandy Bridge Processor Intel HM65 Intel HD Graphics 3000 - $570

I guess my question is, is the i5 worth the extra $130?  What are the differences between 252B and 232B?  Also same for 2520M and 2330M?

Should I look for something better or different?  I have been out of game for a while regarding buying/building PCs.  

Thanks a bunch in advance.
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

FastKayak

• World Citizen
Re: Which ASRock? Or should I look for something else?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:05:45 pm »

I have a slightly older i3 model which I like a lot.  It handles APE audio and ripped ROHQ DVD / Blu-ray play back without a sweat (audio is local and movies are via WDC USB connected drives).  Mine is solely for MC usage and I would see no reason to get the i5. 

I use the HDMI output to my Denon so I can't comment on your Juli device usefulness.  While it has a very small fan (which I never hear) it does seem to run a little warm to the touch.

Added pluses, remote control power on via my Harmony (a STRONG selling point for me), small and unobtrusive.  I paid $700 at Newegg for my 137B model (a little painful I thought but much reduced from the price this model once went for.)  You should check if Windows is included, wasn't with older models and they still might not.

All in all, I would buy another if ever the need arises. 

FastKayak / Larry

stewart_pk

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 11:28:53 pm »

Intel Sandy Bridge doesn't really do 23.976Hz (bluray) properly.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/7
http://www.missingremote.com/news/2011-07-26/24p-works-intel-sandy-bridge-uac-enabled

I added a dedicated AMD Radeon 6450 HD video card to my HTPC to get over this issue.

psam

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 08:48:27 am »

The two units are:
1) ASRock CoreHT 252B Intel Core i5 2520M Mobile Sandy Bridge Processor Intel HM65 Intel HD Graphics 3000 - $700...

Thanks a bunch in advance.
Patrick

I own the 252B with the i5 CPU , 8GB of memory, 750GB internal hard disk and the GeForce GT540M card. Most content resides on an external 2TB hard disk connected by the e-Sata input on the HTPC.

It runs great, no freezing, stalling or anything other issue with JRiver MC 17.

No problem with Blue Ray movies either.

Very quiet, temperatures are low, I am very happy with this particular purchase.
One thing I cannot comment is the sound quality because I have the HTPC connected to my Antelope Zodiac DAC (24 bit /192 kHz) so I have never used the output of the on-board sound card.

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 10:47:29 am »

You should check if Windows is included, wasn't with older models and they still might not.

Thanks for chiming in Larry!  It doesn't include Windows but I have a freshie new Win7 Home Ultimate just waiting for a new home. 

-patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

pcstockton

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 10:55:03 am »

Intel Sandy Bridge doesn't really do 23.976Hz (bluray) properly.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/7
http://www.missingremote.com/news/2011-07-26/24p-works-intel-sandy-bridge-uac-enabled

I added a dedicated AMD Radeon 6450 HD video card to my HTPC to get over this issue.

I read both of those posts and it went over my head a bit.  The second article seemed to say that they have a "software" work around for this.  But this may be a bit of a moot point now.  I have NEVER even seen a BluRay disc.  Anything ive gotten from Netflix or borrowed from friends isn't even available in BluRay.  But in terms of future proofing my PC a bit I assumed this will change a few years down the road.

Regarding getting a video card, isn't that the point of the "HD3000" and "Sandy Bridge" designations?  I am sure it is now CLEARLY obvious that I know very little about this.  If I was to get a video card, which I am not opposed to, would I then be better served with a different mobo and proc?  Or do the "HD3000" and "Sandy Bridge" aspect do other things.

I ask because in a video card thread I was told "forget a new video card and get a Sandy Bridge PC"

Lastly, one of those articles mentioned "Ivy Bridge".  If I was to wait for a PC with this, will I be paying significantly more for the same specs on a PC?  If so how much?

Thanks again!
Patrick

pcstockton

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 11:28:06 am »

I own the 252B with the i5 CPU , 8GB of memory, 750GB internal hard disk and the GeForce GT540M card. Most content resides on an external 2TB hard disk connected by the e-Sata input on the HTPC.

One thing I cannot comment is the sound quality because I have the HTPC connected to my Antelope Zodiac DAC (24 bit /192 kHz) so I have never used the output of the on-board sound card.

How is that Antelope DAC?  I remember reading about it in 6moons or something.

Anyway.... again similar questions from above?  You guys are using PCI video cards? 

1) So am I correct that I could use my Juli@ card if I found it superior to the mobo out?
2) If so, how many PCI cards can go in these puppies
3) Regardless of Sandy Bridge and HD3000 should I also assume I will need a video card?

Sorry for being fairly ignorant on all of this.  Video on PCs is new for me.  I am sure there are better sites for this discussion.  But there are so many extremely knowledgeable people in this forum and I will be using this new PC exclusively for J River MC.  I wont do anything else on this PC.

Thanks again everyone.  I really appreciate the help.
Patrick

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 02:21:24 pm »

AsRock also makes the Vision 3D series with Nvidia cards built-in. I have an i5 system which I am very happy with. I have also installed a HTPC on an Vision 3D i3 system and that was still powerful enough to do blu-ray with the correct refresh change on the TV.

The video card in these two systems are built-in Nvidia GT425M.

TLS

dmm

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 04:22:15 pm »

I am partial to gigabyte motherboards with the "ultra durable" feature which doubles the amount of copper used in the power and ground plane of your motherboard.  This has the advertised effect of better EMI protection which might lead to better lower noise floor.

I have no idea if this is a measurable benefit for audio, but it seems like it should help.

http://www.gigabyte.us/microsite/306/images/ud4.html

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 05:51:47 pm »

As an earlier poster noted the box includes some form of Nvidia hardware to process the video stream.  No need to add a card and in fact the box isn't really modifiable in any real way (some folks have swapped in a solid state drive but that is about as far as you can go).  While I have a very nice HTPC setup (speakers, receiver and the like) I don't sweat the audiophile details.  I plug it all together and both sound and the video are very acceptable to me.  Repeating a bit, I like the ASrock because it is small, quiet and I can start it up with my Harmony. Even with ROHQ Blu-Ray the cpu is loafing. 

I think you could do the same.

(And yes Ivy Bridge ships any day now.  And it has better Intel graphics but that doesn't matter since these boxes are Nvidia based.  Maybe the Sandy Bridge i3 you mentioned is being phased out at $570 - I have no idea but it is nicely priced compared to what I paid in November 2011.  Given what you have said about watching Netflix and the like I am not aware of anything Ivy Bridge is going to do that will benefit you.)

FastKayak / Larry

stewart_pk

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 07:38:33 pm »

The software "workaround" apparently doesn't cure the problem, just reduces it a bit.
In my case it made no difference, I have Intel Sandy Bridge HD2000.
The $60 AMD Radeon 6450 based video card I got replaced it and I'm very happy with it.
I would recommend an AMD based HTPC over Intel.
This way you'll end up with built in AMD Radeon graphics which should do 23.976Hz refresh rate properly.

Good luck!

I read both of those posts and it went over my head a bit.  The second article seemed to say that they have a "software" work around for this.  But this may be a bit of a moot point now.  I have NEVER even seen a BluRay disc.  Anything ive gotten from Netflix or borrowed from friends isn't even available in BluRay.  But in terms of future proofing my PC a bit I assumed this will change a few years down the road.

Regarding getting a video card, isn't that the point of the "HD3000" and "Sandy Bridge" designations?  I am sure it is now CLEARLY obvious that I know very little about this.  If I was to get a video card, which I am not opposed to, would I then be better served with a different mobo and proc?  Or do the "HD3000" and "Sandy Bridge" aspect do other things.

I ask because in a video card thread I was told "forget a new video card and get a Sandy Bridge PC"

Lastly, one of those articles mentioned "Ivy Bridge".  If I was to wait for a PC with this, will I be paying significantly more for the same specs on a PC?  If so how much?

Thanks again!
Patrick

pcstockton

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 01:11:45 pm »

AsRock also makes the Vision 3D series with Nvidia cards built-in. I have an i5 system which I am very happy with. I have also installed a HTPC on an Vision 3D i3 system and that was still powerful enough to do blu-ray with the correct refresh change on the TV.

The video card in these two systems are built-in Nvidia GT425M.

TLS

AHA!!!  (Jimmy Cliff song ringing in my head)....  I am starting to understand.

Thanks,
-Patrick

pcstockton

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 01:13:25 pm »

This has the advertised effect of better EMI protection which might lead to better lower noise floor.

I have no idea if this is a measurable benefit for audio, but it seems like it should help

It couldn't hurt i dont think.  Thanks for the suggestion.

-p

pcstockton

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 02:07:40 pm »

While I have a very nice HTPC setup (speakers, receiver and the like) I don't sweat the audiophile details.  I plug it all together and both sound and the video are very acceptable to me.  Repeating a bit, I like the ASrock because it is small, quiet and I can start it up with my Harmony. Even with ROHQ Blu-Ray the cpu is loafing. 

I think you could do the same.

FastKayak / Larry

Thanks Larry.  I really appreciate the help.  I too am attracted to using my Harmony to boot up the PC.  Very nice.

Can you help a bit on how significant this BluRay playback problem is?  My current old-ass PC plays back 24/96 FLACs through MC just wonderfully.  The program is fast and I have no problems.  So video is really the only reason I am looking for a new PC.  Have you noticed this repeated frame every 40 seconds?  Is it even perceivable?  A major screen glitch every 40 seconds would most likely bother me.

The comments above about the fps and refresh rate is a little troublesome because I would like this PC to be relevant for a few years.

Am I correct in my understanding that the older "Vision 3D" models dont have this Bluray issue? 

Also, a few reviews I have read say that the ASrocks run extremely hot.  Have you noticed this?

LASTLY, this may be a VERY silly question but, for audio I use the Juli@ because it offers auto-sample rate switching, 24/96 through optical and is ASIO compliant.  If I used the ASRock/Sandy Bridge spdif output would I be losing any of those features?  How would I output audio in MC, WASAPI?  I am guessing it is not ASIO compliant.

Thanks so much for helping me you guys.  I am about to pull the trigger and dont want to drop $700 only to find out I am in no better position than I am currently.

Cheers!
Patrick

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 02:25:27 pm »

No 40 sec problem on my system. I am bitstreaming over HDMI, so I can't use Videoclock. According to MadVR I get a dropped frame every 10 min, but I can't actually see it.

You are right about the audio. No ASIO, but it runs WASAPI (both types) nicely.

I don't seem to have a heat problem with mine and as stated above, I have the i5 processor in my HTPC. The only time I can actually hear the fan, is when I am browsing through covers in  in standard view. Don't ask me why. I rarely use in in standard view since it's connected to my TV in the living room controlled through Theater View from the couch.

And yes, the ability to power up the HTPC from my Harmony One is very cool. Things just works.  :)

TLS

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 02:46:37 pm »

Sorry, but you are asking about things I don't have personal experience with or know about technically.  Here is what I can say -

I have never perceived anything when watching a ripped DVD or Blu-ray where I suspected a frame drop, or even a tiny pause or anything else I would attribute to a video fidelity issue.  Of course I have very different hardware from your proposed system.  My ASrock is connected to my Denon 4310ci which in turn feeds my Sony 52in XBR TV all via HDMI.  Like I said in an earlier post, I bought high end gear (okay, you can spend 10 times more than this but none the less this isn't a cheap system) and I expect it to handle all that detail stuff.  Is the end result a perfect frame rate of 23.976Hz?  I don't know, don't even know how to check, BUT IT LOOKS AND SOUNDS GREAT.  I'm happy.  

I LIKE visual and audio candy and I get it from my system.  BTW I use WASAPI event style and bit streaming to the HDMI.  So sound processing is the combo of MC DSP and the sound processing going on in the Denon. I mess around with it till I'm happy and probably it would send more than one audiophile to an early grave....but hey its mine, not theirs. 

In my experience it is a little warm.  Will that become a problem long term?  I don't now.  I was unable to find anything else with remote control hardware except cases that had several fans; okay solves any heat problem, but creates a noise problem.  My previous HTPC had an noise issue and it wore out its welcome after 5 years with the noise from the fans (it began life in a different entertainment center where I could somewhat close it away and not hear it.) 

It is a bit of a leap of faith to drop $700 without hearing or seeing.  I jumped off that cliff last November and I would do it again (with less trepidation).

FastKayak / Larry

pcstockton

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 06:34:50 pm »

Sounds like fantastic performance to me. 

I really appreciate the help everybody.

Last question, are there any other "pre-built" mini-machines I should look at? 

Thanks again!
Patrick

pcstockton

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 04:55:06 am »

Well I dove right in.  I couldn't help myself.

I bought the ASRock CoreHT 252B, i5 2520M Mobile Sandy Bridge Processor, Intel HM65, Intel HD Graphics 3000.  $600.  I will slap a little SSD in there with another 4gb of RAM along with windows 7 64bit.  Fingers crossed.

Thanks again all!
Patrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up