INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback could not be started using format: 48khz 16bit 6ch  (Read 13769 times)

Yummycarp

• Recent member

Some of my bluray .iso files give this popup message when using the MC player and then only play in stereo. Others work fine and give 5.1 playback.

Playback could not be started using format: 48khz 16bit 6ch or  Playback could not be started using format: 48khz 24bit 6ch

Playback options for the theater zone: WASAPI, Realtek Digital Audio, Open device for exclusive access is checked, no DSP

What's the solution to this problem?

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
Re: Playback could not be started using format: 48khz 16bit 6ch
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:41:40 pm »

Are you using HDMI or spdif? If you are using spdif, then you might need to use the option: encode to dolby digital, if your AVR cannot handle DTS... or am I just smoking something?

Well... anyway check the other Wasapi settings, like event style and try to check the option that says, use 24-bit inside 32-bit... Sorry, I am little tired now, but I am sure someone else can provide better answer
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:44:05 am »

Judging by the name "WASAPI, Realtek Digital Audio", you are using S/PDIF.

S/PDIF has quite a few shortcomings, not the least to mention bandwidth issues with multichannel as it was originally designed for 2 channel 48Khz only (professional use had 4 channel support). I could be wrong but I don't think multichannel surround was ever officially supported over S/PDIF, let alone in higher sample rates. It can work, but whether it does heavily depends on your receiver as this is most likely the limiting factor.

If you can, I would advise to use audio over HDMI as it was designed with multichannel/high samplerates in mind.

Yummycarp

• Recent member
SOLVED: Playback could not be started using format: 48khz 16bit 6ch
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 12:20:51 pm »

SOLVED

It was a discrepency between Application Volume and System Volume, that little blue button under the volume control.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 01:14:26 pm »

I fail to see how volume could bring about that message but glad to see you were able to fix the issue.

Yummycarp

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 02:44:12 pm »

UNSOLVED:

I accidentally replied to my wrong post. The volume issue fixed the problem I had with the Sound Blaster 24bit external sound device not playing anymore.

The above issue is still OPEN.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 03:19:41 pm »

Judging by the name "WASAPI, Realtek Digital Audio", you are using S/PDIF.

S/PDIF has quite a few shortcomings, not the least to mention bandwidth issues with multichannel as it was originally designed for 2 channel 48Khz only (professional use had 4 channel support). I could be wrong but I don't think multichannel surround was ever officially supported over S/PDIF, let alone in higher sample rates. It can work, but whether it does heavily depends on your receiver as this is most likely the limiting factor.

If you can, I would advise to use audio over HDMI as it was designed with multichannel/high samplerates in mind.

5.1 channel Dolby digital or DTS surround sound plays comfortably over spdif fiber optic outputs. Every DVD player in existence plays it's surround sound this way, in addition to it's coax outputs. Spdif will not handle anything over 24/96 however.

The reason your mc is giving you this error is because you have different formats that you are trying to play back, and you have the settings for the formats to play back in the "audio" section of the configurationmenu set to a lower rate.  Try selecting 24 bit sample rate playback and "same number of channels as source".
Custom PC based music systems and information panels....really.
www.jdsmarthome.com

Yummycarp

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 04:03:56 pm »

Hey Jimmy,

This is what I have so far...

1. onboard realtek digital output( realtek high def audio)
2. Playback Options: Direct Sound, Default Channels, No DSP
3. I tried your DSP suggestions: 24bit and Source Number of Channels but that did not do it for me.

So far these fail: truehd, 48k, 5.1, s24  AND pcm_bluray, 48k, 5.1, 4608kb/s

So far these work for me: ac3,48k,5.1,640kb/s AND dts-hd ma,48k,5.1,1536kb/s

So my goal is to never get a warning popup and play ANY 5.1 audio, especially since I can never dismiss them from the detached screen (another problem)

Thanks for your help.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 04:27:54 pm »

As already stated by InflatableMouse there isnt enough bandwidth available over S/PDIF to send more than 2 channels of PCM, so your stuck with bitstreaming the core tracks of the HD soundtracks on your blurays (DD & DTS) or sending stereo PCM only, you will not be able to send multichannel pcm_bluray   :(

rgds
Marty

Yummycarp

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 05:19:15 pm »

It looks like my .iso files come with at least one usable audio format compatible with my hardware. So far, the pcm and truehd formats do not work for me and I have to manually select the other ac3 format. How can I automate the process, ie. I want MC to always select the format that is compatible with my realtek card.

So far these fail: truehd, 48k, 5.1, s24  AND pcm_bluray, 48k, 5.1, 4608kb/s

So far these work for me: ac3,48k,5.1,640kb/s AND dts-hd ma,48k,5.1,1536kb/s

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 05:27:03 pm »

Under Video Settings, you'll want to change Bitstreaming to sp/dif. You can also make a custom selection if your hardware is incompatible with certain formats. MC will decode the unchecked streams to PCM, and then you can set the DSP audio output to match your speaker configuration (2-channel max).

Enjoy!

Yummycarp

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 05:57:44 pm »

Thanks to all BUT I thought my question was pretty clear but I will type it again.

The bluray iso file comes with 2 audio formats. Truehd and ac3. It seems to default to truehd but I want it to automatically default to ac3 because ac3 5.1 will always work for my hardware. HOW DO I DO THAT?

FYI: I realize that MC will remember my manual choice of audio track for each specific movie but I want this to be automatic for all movies added to library in future.

I have bitstreaming turned on and based on the settings I see and my understanding, it will bitstream the ac3 audio track and that's why ac3 works.  The truehd and pcm either plays stereo or freezes MC.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 06:11:57 pm »

I believe stream selection is hardcoded into LAV splitter.

By far the easiest solution for you is to select "output surround sound as Dolby Digital" in the audio DSP.

Yummycarp

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 06:38:17 pm »

Thanks Bryanhoop, that does sound better but do I really have 5.1 working?  I'm interested in knowing what "output surround sound as Dolby Digital" actually does. I admit that could be a stupid question but a simple explanation would help me. Is it as good as playing the ac3 track?

Yummycarp

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 07:25:35 pm »

I can't run HDMI to my bedroom so this solution was great but I can run a 40' HDMI cable in the theater room so if I do that then this problem won't exist at all, correct?

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 07:47:58 pm »

Yummycarp, I had the same problem as you in the past. I have a bluray player in my HTPC but I do not have the newer Dolby Tru HD decoders in my Krell pre amp, and I can only listen to Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1. In my setup, in order for me to watch a BluRay in 5.1, a DVD in 5.1, and a 2 channel music file in stereo, I have the internal sample rate set at 24 bits, and the output set at "Source number of channels" and "No upmixing or downmixing". I have Bitstreaming turned OFF. I have many songs in formats up to 24/192 stereo, and of course my library of BluRay's and DVD's in DD/DTS 5.1 surround. I have the mobo's fiber optic cable output going into my Krell Pre amp's fiber optic input - SPDIF. I have my Krell pre amp set to accept up to 24/192 on that input. I have no problem watching and playing back all my blu ray's, DVD's, and music in their proper 5.1 or stereo formats. Sometimes MC will forget these settings when it upgrades from one version to a newer one. Don't ask me why it does this since it's designed to remember the settings. It just does. In which case I have to enter the settings all over again. It's something that I have to do on every upgrade, so I'm real familiar with the routine.

I don't know why some continue to say that SPDIF cannot carry a Dolby Digital 5.1 surround signal when every DVD player in existance uses this same output to send the DVD's 5.1 surround sound to the reciever for surround playback. I can play - and verify each and every time - that my SPDIF output can comfortably pass stereo 24/192 stereo from my mobo to my Krell's DAC, and 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound sound too.

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 07:54:22 pm »

I don't know why some continue to say that SPDIF cannot carry a Dolby Digital 5.1 surround signal when every DVD player in existance uses this same output to send the DVD's 5.1 surround sound to the reciever for surround playback. I can play - and verify each and every time - that my SPDIF output can comfortably pass stereo 24/192 stereo from my mobo to my Krell's DAC, and 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound sound too.

I don't think anyone was disputing that S/PDIF can bitstream compressed multichannel audio such as DD or DTS or that it can carry Stereo PCM at 24/192 were they ? The issue was with multichannel Hi-Res audio which is where the OP is experiencing problems.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 08:03:47 pm »

As already stated by InflatableMouse there isnt enough bandwidth available over S/PDIF to send more than 2 channels of PCM, so your stuck with bitstreaming the core tracks of the HD soundtracks on your blurays (DD & DTS) or sending stereo PCM only, you will not be able to send multichannel pcm_bluray   :(

rgds
Marty

I was referring to this post. I've been told the same thing many times here that SPDIF cannot pass 5.1 channel surround sound because of limited bandwidth. What amazes me is they've never bothered trying to hook up a DVD player in the last 10 years.

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 08:06:11 pm »

Might I suggest you read it again then? it clearly says ' more than 2 channels of PCM'
PCM not bitstreamed audio ::)

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 08:07:59 pm »

Micro, my point exactly! This does not bear anything to the OP's question.
www.jdsmarthome.com

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 08:15:12 pm »

Sorry but It's not clear to me what your point is at all. The quote that you posted regarding there not being enough bandwidth over PCM was from my post and it is correct there isn't enough bandwidth over S/PDIF to send mutichannel PCM suggesting that he would need to enable Bitstreaming.

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 08:37:06 pm »

And now that were hopefully back on track and on the same page  ;D

I can't run HDMI to my bedroom so this solution was great but I can run a 40' HDMI cable in the theater room so if I do that then this problem won't exist at all, correct?

Yummy, if your AV Processor can accept HD Audio codecs such as Dolby True HD & DTS-HD-MA or Multichannel LPCM this is deffinately the way forward for you as its the only way you can hear the original High-Res Soundtracks untouched (other than using multi analogue outs from a suitable soundcard)

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 08:49:23 pm »

::)  Wow. Whatever.

Yummy. try what I did. It's exactly the same thing you are having. It's all in the settings.

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 08:59:50 pm »

I was trying not be offensive with my comments but seeing as your comfortable with rudeness

I have the internal sample rate set at 24 bits, and the output set at "Source number of channels" and "No upmixing or downmixing". I have Bitstreaming turned OFF.

If you do in fact have your Media Center set this way with bitstreaming disabled, whatever its sending over S/PDIF is NOT multichannel audio, and recommending that someone else do the same is quite frankly, I'm sorry to say terrible advice.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 09:04:39 pm »

Really....hmmmm. I guess me and everyone here is having a mass-hysteria attack of auditory proportions.

Just checked my settings again. Bit streaming is OFF, Prometheus is playing in MC, Dolby Digital 5.1 setting is ON on my Krell Pre. Full surround sound. LOVE IT!!!
www.jdsmarthome.com

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 09:11:51 pm »

Bit streaming is OFF, Prometheus is playing in MC, Dolby Digital 5.1 setting is ON
If you are not bitstreaming there is no way your Processor is detecting a Dolby Digital Track, this is technically impossible and only highlights your clear misunderstanding of how the technology works

And everyone here? I don't see anyone else here caiming to be sending multichannel audio over S/PDIF that is not being bitstreamed.
I strongly recommend you read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPDIF

and take special note to..
S/PDIF can carry two channels of PCM audio or a multi-channel compressed surround sound format such as Dolby Digital or DTS.

If you are not bitstreaming you are not sending those compressed formats over S/PDIF

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 09:17:43 pm »

I would take screen shots if you asked, but I'm going to finish watching the movie instead.

::)

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 09:24:54 pm »

Jimmy, screenshots of you having bitstreaming disabled would not convine me or anyone else for that matter (who truly understands how the technology works) that you are sending a Dolby Digital track via S/PDIF in a non-bitstreamed format, as previously stated its technically impossible.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2012, 09:28:06 pm »

Well ok then. No screen shots. Then. Let's agree to disagree, as this is really doing no good to anyone. But just for the record, I have everything in MY MC HTPC as I have described and it works wonderfully. As a matter of fact, Jim and Mat both suggessted a while back when I was having the same issues the OP is having to disable bitstreaming - which I did - and my problems were solved. You can search for that thread if you want, IDC.

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2012, 09:32:52 pm »

I'm sorry Jimmy, I really am! but I can't agree to disagree because what you are suggesting is not possible. I am not trying to belittle you or prove you wrong in any way I simply wish for you to understand  :'(

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2012, 09:39:36 pm »

No problem dude. I don't care if you don't believe me. Should I? I don't even know you. So I'm just bowing out. You can PM me if you want to continue this. IDC. Like I said, our disagreements are doing the OP no good, and since you obviously don't know enough about how MC works it's also obvious you won't believe - even when shown pictures of the process in action - that quirks like this have plaqued MC for a long time. I've been using MC for many years and in a number of HTPC's here at home. They all work the same - SPDIF - Pre amp input - 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound. Unmistakeable. But again, IDC. See ya.

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2012, 09:41:31 pm »

since you obviously don't know enough about how MC works it's also obvious you won't believe
Oh the irony  :'(

our disagreements are doing the OP no good

I disagree with this in a certain respect because the OP could have been seriously misled RE sending compressed audio codecs over S/PDIF.
I am however more than happy to see this thread split if the mods deem it Necessary  8)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 12:02:40 am »

First of all, Micromecca is correct.

Thanks Bryanhoop, that does sound better but do I really have 5.1 working?  I'm interested in knowing what "output surround sound as Dolby Digital" actually does. I admit that could be a stupid question but a simple explanation would help me. Is it as good as playing the ac3 track?

I believe that MC will decode the highest quality stream available (be it DTS or Dolby or TrueHD, etc), and then reencode it to AC3 to bitstream. I am not sure if it will leave AC3 untouched, that is probably a question for Matt or Jim. You are going to get true surround sound although it will be transcoded (but with the high bitrate streams, this isn't much of an issue). Unfortunately you are limited to DTS or DD quality with your current setup, so any possible sonic improvement gained by selecting "raw" DD or DTS tracks is negligible.

BTW, if you are looking at long runs, sometimes this can save you money.

Yummycarp

• Recent member
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2012, 12:56:19 am »

At least I got some good help on this thread and a better understanding of my setup. This is my bedroom zone and this is just for playing bluray iso and DVD discs.

I settled on: ( Output Mode = Direct Sound ), (Device = Realtek Digital Output, Channels = Default Channels), (Video: Bitstreaming = Yes, S/PDIF),  (DSP Settings: Channels = 5.1, Output surround sound as dolby digital is checked. mixing = no upmixing or downmixing)

This sounds pretty good to me. I'm not an audiophile.

I will order a 40' hdmi cable from monoprice and use that in the theater room and it is my understanding that hdmi will play all formats so it will likely work with (Video: bitstreaming = hdmi) and no DSP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up