INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange Noises When Using Mixer In Parametric EQ  (Read 844 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Strange Noises When Using Mixer In Parametric EQ
« on: March 29, 2012, 04:51:56 pm »

At the suggestion of a member in another thread to I have implemented this: "You can use Mix Channels to copy the LFE to a User channel, put a high pass on it, increase it by 10 dB, and add it to your mains." The purpose is to send frequencies above the usable range of our subwoofer to the mains.

I have implemented it in Parametric EQ with the following:

1. Add SW to U1 (User 1) +10db.
2. High pass @ 80Hz (U1).
3. Add U1 to L.
4. Add U1 to R.

Everything works fine for Movies or TV Shows. It has added a lot of good solid upper bass that was being lost by our sub not being able to reproduce the higher frequencies well and the fact that I had a low pass on the sub.

When playing audio from a 2 channel source (ripped cd's) I sometimes get a very strange mid and high frequency squealing sound in the mains that occasionally has mid range clicks. It is independent of the MC volume control.

If I go from Audio and watch a video sometimes when I return to music listening the squeal no longer appears. Other times coming back from a video to music the squeel is very faint, then other times returning from a video it is quite loud.

I can uncheck 1 and 2 in the table above and the squeal will still be there. This seems really odd!  If I uncheck 3 it goes away from the Left main and if I uncheck 4 it goes away from the right main.

This is the first time I have done anything with the Mixer, but the way I implemented it doesn't seem like it should cause such weirdness.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks,
Rod

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Strange Noises When Using Mixer In Parametric EQ
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 05:09:34 pm »

You need to replace U1, not add to it.  Or silence it before adding to it.

It will contain undefined data otherwise.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
Re: Strange Noises When Using Mixer In Parametric EQ
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 07:47:09 pm »

You need to replace U1, not add to it.  Or silence it before adding to it.

It will contain undefined data otherwise.

Thanks Matt. That was the problem. In item 1 above I changed it to 'Copy SW to U1 (user 1) +10 db (Replaces destination with source).

This relatively new part of MCs DSP is incredibly powerful. The only trouble is for somebody like me the problems I can sometimes create are a little like giving a 20 pound sledge hammer to a 4 year old boy in the house with no one else around!

Rod

Pages: [1]   Go Up