INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roland ua-55 as a sound card?  (Read 2506 times)

indirrana

• Recent member
Roland ua-55 as a sound card?
« on: April 01, 2012, 04:05:48 am »

Has anyone use the roland ua-55 as a soundcard? Now i have the cakewalk ua 25 ex and i am very happy with its sound. I think, the ua 55 is an improvement (192/24, 40 bits processing data), but i'm not sure.
After use asio outpouts i'm fan of this way of listening to music. That's why other interesting cards like hrt streamer 2 not me just convince.
Has anyone tested this two, or similar cards?

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Roland ua-55 as a sound card?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:18:49 pm »

I was actually singularly unimpressed by the UA-25. Probably the worst USB pro audio soundcard I've ever used, though by no means terrible.

Is the 55 any better? Dunno. But in terms of using a pro audio soundcard as sources I think it's a very viable and versatile way to go. I use the Prism Orpheus in my main system, and various modules from from RME - from the UFX down to the Babyface - for my regular computers that I want to listen 'seriously' on. I would rather do that than some BS-encrusted 'audiophile-grade' DAC where the money's mainly going into the fancy enclosure.

indirrana

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 11:18:40 am »

I am not a professional sound producer. For me two channels are enough.
My recordings with UE 25 Ex are very normal of quality. But in player mode (96/24) it has superb sound. I was very surprised when I heard to it for first time. Very surprised, and very happy.
In fact I have compared it with Linn Akurate DSM, a very expensive digital player from Hard Disk, and...Cakewalk sounds better.
It sound better than my Primare Dv10 compact disc player too.
That's why i am interested in the next generation of Cakewalk (or Roland: are the same company).
And everything for the reasonable quantity of 200 Euros.

goatherder

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 07:01:36 pm »

As I said, for me - and that's not just listening, in that I decided to bench a couple because they sounded a little off - it's the worst pro audio USB interface I've used in a while, but by a small enough margin that many people may not notice.

So I think yes, you can definitely do better. Though for the still totally entry-level €200 budget, you may have to do a lot of research. Whether you stick with Roland is another discussion - but since you seem happy enough with it, why not.

Pages: [1]   Go Up