INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random movie selector  (Read 1535 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Random movie selector
« on: April 01, 2012, 08:12:08 am »

We recently ended our DTV subscription and now rely on my movie collection and OTA recordings to provide the entertainment.
Oddly, my family misses the randomness of scrolling through the satellite channels and finding a movie "at random" to watch. It seems cumbersome to scroll through several hundred movie listings (thinking about the movie plots) and deciding if that is the one to watch tonight.

I'm wondering on if there is a way to have MC randomly (or randomly by genre) pick the movie for me. Meaning when we decide to watch a movie (maybe a comedy) and then click a button (Comedy Movies) on MC and it would then display just one movie title.

I suppose MC would need some sort of random number generator to use.

Can it be done? Maybe this is just a silly idea.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
Re: Random movie selector
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 09:12:36 am »

You could just create a smartlist like Random Songs only using Video instead of Audio.
Sean

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 09:35:58 am »

Thanks. That looks like a great start. Then I would want to put that Smart List on the Theater View "roller" as a one-button-selection.
I'll start working on this now - if you have any more advice/tips - please post back.

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 07:53:30 pm »

A technique I find useful in this sort of situation is to make a variety of smartlists which are filed together as a group in Playlists. There I can easily experiment in Standard View, and arrange the resulting lists the way I want them. My Theatre View configuration simply includes a Playlist Group category in the appropriate view.

The attached shows this technique being used to show a set of random lists of three trailers as the first category of my Movies > Trailers view. Selecting 'All' moves on to a "normal" view where I may select from all trailers using various categories. I use the random lists when I'm not in the mood to pick one trailer out of hundreds, but still want to restrict the selection to "Coming Attractions" or trailers for movies available for viewing.

The same thing could be done for movies, with smartlists of the types of movies each family member prefers. And that really smart list of movies that everyone will enjoy. What a great way to avoid arguments! If the movie sucks, blame JRiver. ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up