INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hauppauge HD pvr 1212?  (Read 2092 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Hauppauge HD pvr 1212?
« on: April 13, 2012, 07:33:19 pm »

I'm looking for a new USB TV player/recorder, in the small-box form factor.  I've used one of the Hauppage USB nubbins, but I'd like the box to do as much of the proc work as possible.  I'd like it to be powerful, but not so powerful that it self destructs at the slightest hiccup.  They all seem to be in the $200 or so range--is there a hands-down favorite?

For years I've eyeballed professional capture cards, but they seem to be more trouble than they're worth.  Anything there that shouts out?

Thanks! 

CountryBumkin

Re: Hauppauge HD pvr 1212?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:54:36 am »

I use the Hauppauge 2250 (dual tuner, int. card) and 950Q (USB stick) and have not had any problems with either. I would recommend either of these.
I also have the Colossus (capture card). It was a little problematic with MC program at first, but in last couple of months a lot of improvements have been made on the software side - and I haven't heard of any issues lately (but I don't use it much anymore now that I discontinued with Directv).

opy01

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 08:59:42 am »

The Hauppauge HVRs are very nice and you can get them on Ebay cheaper than most other places.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 07:34:40 pm »

I just noticed your request for info on the 1212 HDPVR. Are you looking for a tuner card to get over the air reception, or a device that will allow connection to a computer to give signals from a cable or satellite set top box?

The HDPVR 1212 does the latter, but not the former. I have owned one for a couple of years. I bought it because at the time it was the only device that could pass through unencrypted hi-def program material. It connects to the STB (set top box) with component video cables and either optical or RCA analog audio input cables. It connects to the PC via USB. In the past year they have come out with the 'Colossus" which is an internal card instead of an external box. I believe they function in a similar manner,

I have used mine mostly with SageTV and a little with MC17. The video quality is excellent. It has been mostly reliable, but there have been occasional glitches. Every once in a while it needs to be power cycled. I believe, but am not certain, that the glitch happens when a show is being recorded in HD and a commercial turns on in SD, or vice versa. There may be a new driver that fixes that issue. Other Sage users have reported over heating on some versions. I don't believe that's been a problem for us. Even with the ocassional glitches I'm still happy I have it considering the limited to no alternatives.

If you'd like any more information I'll be glad to pass on what I can. Also I believe glynor uses one.

Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:27:13 am »

Another consideration with "Tuner' selection is if you are interested in using Comskip to skip commercials in your recordings. In this thread  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67579.msg483174#msg483174  Justin Chase has worked out a procedure to have Comskip function with MC. Apparently it works well for many tuners.

Unfortunately those tuners that output high quality AVC/h.264 content will not work with Comskip at this time. That's the HDPVR and most likely the Colossus, and possibly others. A special version of Comskip - the Donators Version - is required. I am hoping that someone will come up with a method that will make that version work with MC.

Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 11:34:31 am »

I now have Comskip working with the HDPVR on .ts files.  The procedure is detailed here: 

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71634.msg483874#msg483874

Should work for the Colossus too.

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up