INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Asynchronous vs Asio cards  (Read 6765 times)

indirrana

• Recent member
Asynchronous vs Asio cards
« on: April 02, 2012, 11:24:32 am »

Which type of soundcard could be the best for J river?
Are the two methods compatible?
I am looking for a new soundcard. I'm very happy with Asio outputs, but now It seems that the mode they are the asynchronous cards (like HRT streamer 2)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Asynchronous vs Asio cards
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:02:35 pm »

Asynchronous/Asio = Apples/Oranges.  There are Asynchronous cards that will work with Asio and those that wont. For the soundcard to work with Asio requires the card manufacturer to write an ASIO driver. Some do, some don't. All other things being equal, cost, performance, etc I would certainly chose a card that has an Asio driver

Rod

indirrana

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 02:01:17 pm »

Thank you Rod. I'm very confused with both terms. So an asynchronous card could run with Asio too? these are great news.
Do you know some relatively cheap soundcard that fulfills both conditions?

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 05:43:20 pm »

Thank you Rod. I'm very confused with both terms. So an asynchronous card could run with Asio too? these are great news.
Do you know some relatively cheap soundcard that fulfills both conditions?

Your Welcome. Yes there are asynchronous cards that run with Asio. You might try a Google search for them.

I'm a few years behind on sound cards so would not be a good resource for you.  Perhaps someone else can chime in here. It would also help if you could state a budget price range.

Also are you looking for 2 channels for just music, or more channels for home theater?

indirrana

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 01:57:10 pm »

Two channels. Only stereo, Rod.
Price about 400 euros (529 dollars) or less.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 10:16:18 pm »

I recently bought an Asus Xonar Essence One.
Its an external dac/soundcard with Asynchronous Data Transfer that uses ASIO 2.2.
It took about 5 minutes to install drivers and setup JRiver.
Its sounds great and i haven't had any problems with it.
By far my favorite upgrade in years.
I connect it straight to my amp and disable volume in JRiver so its knob is the only volume control.
There is a built in headphone amp with its own volume control too.
I have a couple albums that are terribly mastered and sound distorted on every stereo i have listened to them on.
With this dac they sound the best i have heard them. I have to listen closely to notice it instead of skipping songs because its unbearable.
Everything that comes out of it sounds great.
I have been looking for years and bought this as soon as i found out it existed.
I happy to provide more info or pictures if anyone is interested, but doubt there is anything i can say that a simple google search won't provide.
Pages: [1]   Go Up