INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping different CD's of the same album  (Read 1398 times)

HPL

• Recent member
Ripping different CD's of the same album
« on: April 03, 2012, 12:34:54 am »

Hello to all.I purchased Media Center 17 a few months ago and am enjoying it immensely.

My question is about ripping different versions of the same title.How do I get them to show up as separate albums?

So far they are going into the same folder.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Ripping different CD's of the same album
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 12:51:37 am »

Howdy.

You'll want to create new, or modify existing, views to use the file type or other meta data to group your albums.   How you do this will depend upon which type of view you're using, how you want your data grouped, etc.  Below is a monster thread that helps describe how you can customize views.  Give it a shot, and if you're needing additional help, ask away.

See: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68960.0
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:23:02 am »

I just add some identifier to the titles so I can easily identify the different versions. That puts them in separate folders and displays them as separate albums. If you rely of tags, it is hard to easily see the differences in the albums.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:58:39 am »

I add an identifier to the title of the album.  The identifier lets me see which version of the album it is and also keeps them separate when displayed in JRiver Media Center and keeps them in separate directories on disk.

I've gone with identifiers of the form:
Oh Mercy [Remastered]
The Wall [MFSL]
The Wall [Columbia]
The Wall [Capitol]
Legend [Bonus Tracks] [Remastered]
Abbey Road [Remastered 2009] [Stereo]
Pet Sounds [40th Anniversary Edition]
etc.

HPL

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 01:39:45 am »

Thanks for the replies.Sounds like the easy way would be to add an identifier to the title.I'd have to do that before ripping the second version.Sound about right?

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 07:35:09 am »

Adding an identifier to the title when you rip the CD would be the preferred way.  Alternatively you could add an appropriate identifier to the existing album in your library before importing the new version.

If you do end up with a name collision you can use some of the navigation tools and search tools in JRiver Media Center to navigate to the directory where the new album is and rename the title from there.  For example, I have an "import" and "rip" directories where I copy all albums that are in process of being imported.  If I had a naming collision with a new album I could navigate to the import directory within MC and add an identifier to the album from there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up