INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace an HTPC; doable?  (Read 1534 times)

Daydream

• Citizen of the Universe
Replace an HTPC; doable?
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:54:14 pm »

So, I come home and I plug my Android smartphone into its MHL adapter and play everything with Gizmo over wifi, decoding 1080p on the phone and bitstreaming DTS-MA to the receiver.

Is it doable? Is it close? Is it a bridge too far? Will only one spatial stream (~65Mbps) never gonna be enough for reliable playback even if you're 3ft from the router? Can we get 24 FPS in such a scenario? Am I gonna jump if supposedly it works and I listen to something really loud and then the phone rings (err, yeah it's a phone too...) peeling the paint off the walls with a deafening sound?

My interest in the Android side of MC just skyrocketed since my Note arrived. :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Replace an HTPC; doable?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 06:22:27 am »

You can certainly use Gizmo connected to a receiver to play files from your server.

I believe that there is an HDMI adaptor for the Note.  You can also tell the Note to use the cradle's audio output when it's plugged in.

Androids have separate volume controls for phone and media.

The problem I can see is that MC will convert video first before streaming to the phone.  This may be optional, now or in the future.

Let us know how it works out.

Daydream

Re: Replace an HTPC; doable?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 04:46:37 pm »

The MHL adapter worked beautifully (I ordered the Monoprice one for my Note). Of course the phone managed to ring once before I got to set up different volume levels, so I got a 5.1 ring tone, that everybody on a half a mile radius knew what I was doing :).

Generically speaking everything that is re-compressed (Blu-rays, WEB-DL episodes, etc) worked as is, over wi-fi (with DicePlayer). I suspect the bitrate limitations (either for wifi or the phone - need to test more) is somewhere around 20Mbps. A straight Blu-Ray rip (Aliens, episodes of Game of Thrones S1) played but with heavy stuttering, probably because of wifi limitations (again just a 65Mbps N link). I'll try to cut a small part and put it on the phone itself.

All in all I it's a much better experience at playing hardware accelerated video than, say, with anything Tegra2. Considering that this can only go up with feature devices, maybe it's time to think playing stuff through Gizmo without recompressing/modifying encapsulation. But unless I'm mistaken that would be a SWF player (currently) vs. an Android player. I'd be curious to hear if such a strategy is considered.
Pages: [1]   Go Up