INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPhone Support Meaning?  (Read 1633 times)

rickeyjt

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
iPhone Support Meaning?
« on: April 13, 2012, 11:18:15 am »

Under Optons/General/Features is a checkbox for iPhone support.  What exactly about the iphone is this option supporting?

Of course I would like to sync selected mc playlists to the phone.  If not directly, what is the current workaround that allows this?  I have read some suggestions that playlists in mc can be synced to itunes and then use itunes to manage the syncing.  I would prefer itunes knows all my mc playlists and not have to build playlists in itunes.

The way I do it now is to drag songs from mc into an itunes playlist and then sync; a manual process of updating these itunes playlists I would prefer to avoid.

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: iPhone Support Meaning?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 01:16:15 pm »

Well, The iphone support must be for very early versions of iOS, the current versions are not supported. 
There is an option in MC (File > Export to itunes) which exports the current playlist or view to itunes, and you can then sync.  Please try it and if you are not happy with the feature please open a thread about it, hopefully the devs will look into it if more people request it...
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 01:45:53 am »

Well, The iphone support must be for very early versions of iOS, the current versions are not supported.

No, it has never supported direct syncing of an iOS device (bypassing iTunes).  MC does support direct syncing many older non-iOS "regular" iPods.  Apple does not allow this for iOS devices, and if JRiver hacks it (which would be possible but not trivial) Apple could break the support at any time with a point release.

There is an option in MC (File > Export to itunes) which exports the current playlist or view to itunes, and you can then sync.

If they refer to iOS support for syncing anywhere in their marketing, then that's what they're referring to.  Also, incidentally, if you want to keep MC and iTunes in sync with each other, pointing to the same set of files on disk, there is a really nice and actively maintained plugin from Prod called MCiS.

MC does also support iOS in a few other "ways".  The built-in WebGizmo feature now works pretty darn well for Audio and Image playback support from a MC Server over the air (video support is a not-yet item).  If you prefer a native app, JRemote is making leaps and strides (and the developer has said he intends to support playing back as much as is possible to the device, rather than just "remote" mode, as soon as is possible).

Frankly, if JRemote could stream my music from MC at home over the air to my iPhone, maybe caching local copies of files it streams for later playback?  I'd pull the "Music" app out of the dock and replace it with JRemote, and then I wouldn't ever sync my phone with iTunes again.  And he's working on it.  I haven't checked in on My River in a while, and I prefer JRemote, but that's another popular option.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rjm

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 08:29:50 am »

The built-in WebGizmo feature now works pretty darn well for Audio and Image playback support from a MC Server over the air (video support is a not-yet item). 
iOS compatible video (mp4) does seem to work with WebGizmo. All we need is the MC real-time video conversion feature to work with iOS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up