INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unstable connection settings  (Read 1314 times)

greybone

• Recent member
Unstable connection settings
« on: April 05, 2012, 05:22:23 am »

Hi,

I've been enjoying Media Center for years and have always had a main stationary computer with all my files serving as a media library for my living room laptop/tv.

This has been working perfectly until I moved to my current location, where I have the following options for connecting the two computers:
- Wireless network that suddenly drops to 5-6 Mbit for no good reason despite hours of tweaking the wireless router
- Wire-based network through the electric grid that ALSO suddenly drops to 5-6 Mbit for no good reason

The net result is that streaming any sort of video will work flawlessly 80% of the time, but then suddenly it will start skipping sound and video, and this last for 10-15 seconds at a time.

I realize this is not a problem with Media Center itself, but are there any settings I can tweak to make the client buffer or pre-read much more at a time to overcome my crappy network?

Both the main computer and laptop are running media center 17, and I have mounted the same drive on the laptop which might be part of the problem?

Edit: To add to this I've also tried without the drive mounted, which seems to trigger streaming, but it's still very choppy.

greybone

• Recent member
Re: Unstable connection settings
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:32:27 am »

Anyone back from easter who has some tips on this issue? :)

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:14:54 am »

Ethernet networking is *very* unforgiving of problems at the lower physical layers (bad or noisy cables, problematic switches or routers, dropped wireless association).

So, first test with standard wire, a known good Ethernet cable.  If that has problems, your issues are higher in the network stack.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

greybone

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 12:52:51 pm »

Ethernet networking is *very* unforgiving of problems at the lower physical layers (bad or noisy cables, problematic switches or routers, dropped wireless association).

So, first test with standard wire, a known good Ethernet cable.  If that has problems, your issues are higher in the network stack.

Yeah, I have tested with Cat5 which worked flawlessly so I know the wireless/electricity grid solution is bad, but my question is if there are any settings I can do to make MC buffer a lot more at a time.

80% of the time the 'available' speed should be 3-10 times what's needed to actually stream the content, the only problems are the spikes.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »

Yeah, I have tested with Cat5 which worked flawlessly so I know the wireless/electricity grid solution is bad, but my question is if there are any settings I can do to make MC buffer a lot more at a time.

It's like asking if there's anything you can do to make the broken-legged horse go faster.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 02:06:35 pm »

I had some network issues a while back that sound liek your complaints that traced to Not having "Flow Control" enabled, and having "Jumbo packets" enabled.
See http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/sb/CS-029402.htm

greybone

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 04:02:25 pm »

It's like asking if there's anything you can do to make the broken-legged horse go faster.

I get what you're getting at, but this isn't about fixing a broken network. I've tried that plenty and regular Cat5 is not possible. It's about tweaking MC in a way to work around the broken network.
If I for example could tell MC to 'buffer locally up to 500 MB from the moment I press play' it would mostly eliminate this problem, but I'm not aware of any such settings.

I had some network issues a while back that sound liek your complaints that traced to Not having "Flow Control" enabled, and having "Jumbo packets" enabled.
See http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/sb/CS-029402.htm

Thanks, I'll look into this as well!

greybone

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 10:05:37 am »

i tried out a few more connection tweaks, but unfortunately my network is still crap :)
Guess this is a feature request unless no one knows of any ways to tweak it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up