INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving a folder  (Read 1022 times)

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
Moving a folder
« on: November 14, 2011, 02:38:18 am »

Hi Guys,

Loving the new MC17.

Would it be possible to request a feature. When I use the Rename, Move & Copy files option could you add an option to also move the folder.jpg file in the original folder. At present I have two libraries, one my main library and the other my temp library.

I use a temp folder on my desktop to place the folders/files that I want to import then I import this music into the temp library first in order to ensure that the tags and cover art are 100%. When everything is OK I then use the Move option to move the files/folders to there final resting area on my music drive however when they move I am left with folders on my original desktop with all the folder.jpg files and I either have to manually move them or recreate them on the music drive.

Thanks.

John

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Moving a folder
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 04:00:41 am »

Understandably MC has only information of the files that are included in the library (a cover art file like folder.jpg exists only as a part of the media file's metadata).

It is possible to import also the cover art image and other files (like a rip log and additional image files) that may exist in the media files' folder, but they would need to be tagged with appropriate tags and included in the selection with the media files before all files from a folder could be moved as one unit.

An option to move also "non-library" files that may exist in the files' folders has been requested from time to time. However, implementing it would not be trivial. Depending of the used rule it is quite possible that not all files from a single folder go to some other single folder. They may go to two or more separate folders or some of the files may intentionally remain in the original folder.

A possible implementation for this option would move any remaining files together with the last moved file from each included source location. It would then be up to the user to make sure that using the option would make sense and work as desired.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

HerbHHH

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:32:42 am »

A possible implementation for this option would move any remaining files together with the last moved file from each included source location. It would then be up to the user to make sure that using the option would make sense and work as desired.

I'm a new user of MC, coming from MediaMonkey and XBMC.  A really fine program you have.  Many very useful features.

I was surprised to find that there was no way to move folder.jpg files.  Doing a search I see that this has been requested a number of times.  The workflow described by the original poster (working folders then moved to permanent database) is fairly common.  The inability to move folder.jpg then becomes a real pain.

The implementation you suggest would work for most people.  Could you please implement this?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 01:26:24 pm »

Another technique...

You can use Rename, Move & Copy files via MC's Explorer to also move the files that are not imported into MC.  For directory moves, this is easy enough.  For files renames, you'll want a rule to exclude renaming the file name's of files such as Folder.jpg (and any other files that should not be renamed).

Select any track from the album, and then Locate On Disk (inside Media Center).  This brings you to Explorer view where you'll see all the files.  Select them, and bring up the Rename dialog.  You should see all the files in the directory.  Rename away.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up