INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artist Tag = "John Zorn; John Zorn"  (Read 1548 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Artist Tag = "John Zorn; John Zorn"
« on: April 17, 2012, 01:38:26 pm »

Good day all!

I have been experiencing some strange behavior recently.  I believe it started when Artist and Genre became lists rather than a single value.

What I am seeing, seemingly randomly, is "John Zorn;John Zorn" as Artist.  Somehow all but one of my Pink Floyd albums became "Pink Floyd;Pink Floyd.

I know I didn't change any tags on my end. 

Did I have something in other tags that is confusing things?

There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to the changes.

Thanks in advance!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Artist Tag = "John Zorn; John Zorn"
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:44:30 pm »

If you make a copy of a file that has the problem, and import it, is the artist listed double?  If so, please email a copy of the file to matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pcstockton

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 01:54:53 pm »

Matt,

That is the interesting thing.  I just re-imported my entire library to a new PC I just got running. 

But I also saw this happen on my old PC at random times.  Not sure if it correlated with an auto-import or not. 

I will copy and re-import an offender this evening.

Thanks for the quick response.

Cheers!
patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

pcstockton

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 06:39:45 pm »

Matt,

I copied an offending album folder and re-imported.  I had fixed a bunch of them but found one:

"Peter Gabriel; Peter Gabriel" as the Album Artist for the album "Peter Gabriel III"
Although the Artist tag is singular "Peter Gabriel"

When I re-imported it remained as "Peter Gabriel; Peter Gabriel"

Then out of stupidity I retagged it correctly before I thought about your comment to email it to you.  I can still send it but of course I re-tagged.  I can try to find another i haven't fixed yet.

-Patrick

vagskal

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 04:32:28 am »

Have you been using foobar 2000 to write file tags? I have found that foobar sometimes can write a single item tag (John Zorn) back to the file tag as a list items with the item duplicated, I.e. John Zorn / John Zorn. The first versions with Artist as list type used / as separator but that was later changed to ; and I think MC then changed separator automatically, I.e. John Zorn / John Zorn became John Zorn; John Zorn.

lowjoel

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 06:11:12 am »

I've also noticed that on occasion, files tagged with Windows Media Player will result in a duplicate artist tag (each with one name). I've not imported them into MC (I knew because I opened them in mp3tag), but I think some programs do produce the tags erroneously.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 06:21:06 am »

Happened to me too at the time I was using WMP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 07:37:28 am »

WMP can't read ID3v2.4, and corrupts ID3v2.3:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=76998
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pcstockton

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 09:16:07 am »

Have you been using foobar 2000 to write file tags?

Nope.  Nothing has touched my files outside of MC.  I dont think WMP is even set-up on my PC.

Foobar is no longer even installed.

Thanks for the help,
Patrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up