INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conversion from m4a to mp3 is very distorted (with LAME) or fails (with Go-Go)  (Read 1667 times)

HoorayMusic

• Recent member

When converting an audio file from m4a to mp3 the conversion sounds very distorted (with L.A.M.E.) or fails (with Go-Go) when using Media Center v17.0.122

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7.

I am able to run an existing mp3 through the LAME encoder and successfully convert it to a new mp3.

Is there a fix for this?

preproman

• Galactic Citizen

When converting an audio file from m4a to mp3 the conversion sounds very distorted (with L.A.M.E.) or fails (with Go-Go) when using Media Center v17.0.122

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7.

I am able to run an existing mp3 through the LAME encoder and successfully convert it to a new mp3.

Is there a fix for this?

What's Go-Go?

HoorayMusic

• Recent member

Go-Go is one of the mp3 encoders that is included with Media Center 17.

Select and Right Click an audio file --> Library Tools --> Convert Format --> Options --> for the Encoder, Choose the mp3 Encoder --> (Then for Encoder Settings) --> Select "Faster CBR Encoding"

This "Faster CBR Encoding" says that it uses Go-Go, fast encoder, but it's quality is not as good as L.A.M.E.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I've had this happen before when applying DSP effects to the conversion process for m4a files.  Check your DSP settings, especially things like the EQ.  It might be necessary to create another zone for conversion if you want some DSP effects applied, but not all.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

It is odd that the source format can affect the result. The converter always decodes the source file to uncompressed PCM and performs the encoding stage after that. Do the m4a files play without problems?

It is also odd that Go-Go does not work at all. Does it work with other than m4a source files?

What is the exact audio format inside the m4a container? (e.g. is the compression format AAC-LC, AAC-HE, or ALAC? What is the sample rate? Are the files 2 ch stereo?) You can use the free MediaInfo program for inspecting the files.

Regarding the mentioned DSP settings, they are not available in the standard file converter. If you are actually using the HandHeld sync feature and have set it to apply DSP processing, please post your exact settings.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Regarding the mentioned DSP settings, they are not available in the standard file converter. If you are actually using the HandHeld sync feature and have set it to apply DSP processing, please post your exact settings.

Yes, sorry... That's what I meant.

Also, this is going way back to MC12-13 days I think, and almost certainly doesn't apply anymore, but in the old days even the current playback DSPs would affect conversions from M4A files in particular.  Because the M4A files were treated by MC as video, and decoded by external filters, even the conversion got routed through the playback engine.

MC has native MP4 decoding now though and Red October and the whole bit, so that isn't relevant anymore, I'm certain.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up