INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 17 Crashes After 15 Minutes - Any Ideas? [Solved]  (Read 2070 times)

enerdrive

• Recent member
MC 17 Crashes After 15 Minutes - Any Ideas? [Solved]
« on: April 25, 2012, 05:54:18 pm »

Hoping someone can shed some light for me on this problem.  I have just installed a HTPC using a Zotac Z-Box, QNap NAS all running through HDMI to a Bose system.  The system is connected by LAN and its only purpose is to play music, with the Bose outputting to a large Plasma for visuals.

So have downloaded MC17 and when I run it the system freezes after exactly 15 minutes of running.  I have gone into Win7 power settings and turned everything off, but to no avail.  So when it crashes the MC is running fine, then all of a sudden the picture to the plasma drops out and sound stops at same time (yes it sounds like somthing is being turned off).  when i move mouse, the image is back but MC wont function.  If i stop the current track, chose a new CD and press play it runs for about 3 seconds then throws up a Windows error 'MC Stopped working'.  At this point, need to restart HTPC.

Have run 3 tests - normal, with the auto refresh turned off, and finally with AVG Free uninstalled - all to no avail

This is the trial version prior to me buying - but just cant get it to run.  As a side point - WMP works fine with no headaches.

Have run the Memtest to find no problems.

So what is my problem??  any Help appreciated and logs attached to this post

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC 17 Crashes After 15 Minutes - Any Ideas??
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 05:56:09 pm »

After a hang or crash, restart and look at the previous log.  The current log just shows the program restarting (so doesn't have the hang in it).

If you could get a hang log, send it to logs at jriver dot com, and we'll see if we can figure out what's happening.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:59:26 pm »

Check your screensaver and power settings to see if something is set to turn off after 15 minutes.

The video but no sound problem is probably an HDMI issue.

enerdrive

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:02:02 pm »

Agreed it sounds like something 'else', and will run new logs tonight.  But simple reply re HDMI is that WMP works fine for hours on end, and no change to screen.  Lets see what log's show

enerdrive

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 06:59:29 am »

Ok found the log, very large file so have cut the last few pages and posted.  Lots of words like Destroy and Destroying player etc.

Looking forward to some ideas???

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 07:07:05 am »

That log shows a normal program shutdown.

If there's a crash, you will normally have the word "crashing" near the end of the log.

It should look like:
1) Run Media Center
2) Get a crash
3) Restart Media Center
4) Email logs using Help > Logging > Email (or if you don't have an email client, get the previous log)

Thanks.

enerdrive

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 07:13:25 am »

Have searched full log (10mb) for any word containing crash in it - Nothing.  If this is normal shutdown procdure as you say, then why would this occur in the middle of normal playing? And what appears to be always after 15mins of playback.  Occurs in either normal view or fullscreen view?

bil1010105

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 07:25:39 am »

I have a couple of suggestions which may not be the cause, but feel free to try.

1) Turn off auto-import and try again. A "bad" file might be causing the issue - I've had that happen to me before.
2) You say WMP works fine, so try setting your Audio Output to 'Direct Sound' and see if you still get the issue. MC frequently crashes for me (on my system) when I use anything other than that.

enerdrive

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 07:30:21 am »

will try, see how it goes overnight - thanks

enerdrive

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 07:55:46 am »

Ok, have proven tonight its not a timed device, MC ran for about 20mins that time.   Changed audio to direct source and turned off auto update.  No virus program installed so not much more i can remove?

was able to save a full log this time - same fault that the music stops playing then kills the image to the plasma (like a screensaver for sure) - move mouse and comes back but wont play and eventually crashes.

So the magic question - whats causing the shutdown?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 08:46:25 am »

was able to save a full log this time - same fault that the music stops playing then kills the image to the plasma (like a screensaver for sure) - move mouse and comes back but wont play and eventually crashes.

I'm still looking through the log.

But could you disable the screensaver and the monitor turning off, and see if that changes the behavior?  It does sound a lot like an HDMI power-state thing.

It might also help if you tested different audio output modes (Options > Audio).  WMP doesn't use exclusive access to the audio device (which is bad if you want audio quality), so is less susceptible to driver issues.

Thanks.

enerdrive

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 05:50:56 am »

Well I found the problem, and so very embarassed by findings.  Yes the screen saver was still on under the video card settings!!  And to think Im an IT guy as well.

Many thanks to all for help - MC playing wonderfully now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up