INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW FEATURE: Tag Pasting  (Read 19333 times)

Lasse_Lus

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: NEW FEATURE: Tag Pasting
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2012, 05:09:18 am »

Genre is enabled but not working. Dont paste.

Fabricio, from Brazil.

Ticked Allow overwrite ?
MT5FR

MusicHawk

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2012, 11:09:51 am »

I believe most of us were hoping for a feature that would physically replace the files for an album with a new set, leaving the records unchanged. That would leave all library data intact, including play stats, cover art and playlist references.

Agreed, this is a much-desired feature, and really different from the new tag pasting capability. That's a complex process, useful in some situations (tagging a bunch of similar tracks, for instance).

But when the only need is to replace the physical media file associated with an existing database record, it should be as easy as the existing ability to replace the physical cover art file:

Select and copy the new media file then paste it to the database record (exactly how cover art can be pasted), AND/OR go to the database record, then open a dialog and select the new file to replace the old file.

This ability alone would be a HUGE help. But it would be a double huge help if MC could then recognize what is happening and offer to cross-update tags (library to file, then file back to library) to finalize the process.

The need actually applies to any type of media file -- music/audio, video, photo -- often individual files. So the process shouldn't assume there's an album involved, or be tied to track numbers or similar (though that could be an option).
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2012, 02:00:42 pm »

MrHaugen

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2012, 02:42:34 pm »

Agreed, this is a much-desired feature, and really different from the new tag pasting capability. That's a complex process, useful in some situations (tagging a bunch of similar tracks, for instance).

But when the only need is to replace the physical media file associated with an existing database record, it should be as easy as the existing ability to replace the physical cover art file:

Select and copy the new media file then paste it to the database record (exactly how cover art can be pasted), AND/OR go to the database record, then open a dialog and select the new file to replace the old file.

This ability alone would be a HUGE help. But it would be a double huge help if MC could then recognize what is happening and offer to cross-update tags (library to file, then file back to library) to finalize the process.

The need actually applies to any type of media file -- music/audio, video, photo -- often individual files. So the process shouldn't assume there's an album involved, or be tied to track numbers or similar (though that could be an option).

Yes. This would be fantastic! No doubt about it. It would be highly useful for most replacing tasks.
For the time being, I do manage with the current copy and paste feature though. It's a huge step forward from what we had. After about a year of slumber on my SAN, the flack albums are finally starting to get into my library and replacing the old. Without this tool, I'm afraid I would never build up the courage to do this task :)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Vocalpoint

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2012, 03:02:22 pm »

I believe most of us were hoping for a feature that would physically replace the files for an album with a new set, leaving the records unchanged. That would leave all library data intact, including play stats, cover art and playlist references.

I do this all the time - just by copying new files over the existing ones. ALL my internal db data is unchanged.

Of course - I do all my tag work outside of the MC database, copy the new fileset over the old one, run a manual import and it's good to go.

VP

rick.ca

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2012, 08:38:53 pm »

I do this all the time - just by copying new files over the existing ones. ALL my internal db data is unchanged.

As do most (I assume) who wish there were an easier way. A feature similar to Tag Pasting that switched the files the records pointed to rather than changing the fields would be more efficient and less error-prone than the multiple step process currently required.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2012, 12:13:06 am »

Quote from: Fabricio
Yes.

Fabricio, create a new test library and check there as well, if that does not work either, send a copy of your db to JRiver.
MT5FR

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2012, 05:09:54 am »

Fabricio, create a new test library and check there as well, if that does not work either, send a copy of your db to JRiver.

Working now. Thanks.

Fabricio, from Brazil.

AracornRed

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2012, 06:55:15 pm »

I was really happy after doing some searching to find this feature had been added to MC17.  I've noticed though that there's no option to paste the "Date Imported" tag.  Any chance of adding this?  Seeing as how the main use for the tag pasting feature looks to be upgrading to new rips/downloads of old tracks, it'd be a really useful feature to have!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up