INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using JRiver with Apple remote on a windows 7 PC (x64)  (Read 2299 times)

dunxed

• Recent member
Using JRiver with Apple remote on a windows 7 PC (x64)
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:15:09 pm »

Hi there,

I've done quite a bit of trawling to see whether or not I can use an apple remote control (the nice shiny one that comes with the appl3), with JRiver on windows 7 x64.

However, I'm more than a little confused.   Has someone done this before?  If so, could they provide some pointers for me please?

The Ir receiver I have is this one from Streacom.

Many thanks in advance,
Duncan

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using JRiver with Apple remote on a windows 7 PC (x64)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 05:26:11 pm »

It mostly-works as is on a Macbook Pro and Mac Mini running Windows (both Boot Camp and Parallels).

Without the Apple Drivers, YMMV.  You can probably install the drivers on a "vanilla" PC running Windows, using the Boot Camp drivers, but it will be a pain to get them working right.  Look at this post about the Aluminum Keyboard for a framework to follow: http://pgpete.wordpress.com/2010/07/17/apple-aluminium-keyboard-working-with-win-7-64bit-finally/

The one big problem is that the remote isn't fully functional as-is.

The Play controls work, and the arrow keys work, but the Menu button does nothing.  If the Menu button could be interpreted to do the "Green Button" then it would be perfect, but I think JRiver would need to build in support for that themselves (or you need to remap it using a third party utility like Girder).  That's what I do on my Macs, but that might not be a good solution if you don't own Girder and aren't a wiz with something like AutoHotKey.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 05:30:14 pm »

On a side note... I recently heard a cool story about the construction of the aluminum Apple remote.  If you look at it, it is actually a pretty amazing little piece of kit.  It is "unibody"... Machined out of a single piece of aluminum.  But that begs the question... How do they get the guts in there?  Those end caps aren't caps.  It is a solid piece of metal.

Turns out, the circuit board of the remote is circular.  Cut to the exact size to fit through the battery hole underneath (the only opening).  They hand assemble those, and jam the PCB through that little battery hole.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dunxed

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 06:58:28 pm »

Thanks Glynor, I'll look at this tonight!
Pages: [1]   Go Up