INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick question regarding library  (Read 746 times)

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
Quick question regarding library
« on: June 18, 2012, 03:03:48 am »

Hi,

I am recently thinking of doing this but I am not sure if it will work so thought I ask around a bit.

I got a Media Center (server) and a Macbook Pro.

The JRiver library files is on the server. I have Parallels installed on my Macbook Pro and planning to use MC on the Parallels to open the library files and use MC on the server to open the library files as read only.

The question is this, if I make any changes to the library on my Macbook Pro, will the changes reflect in the Server which has open the library files in read only mode?

For example, if I import a song in to the library on my Macbook Pro, will it automatically show up in the Server or do I need to restart the application on the server to reload the library?

And if not, how often does the application reload the library?

Thanks!
D
Don't Panic!

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Quick question regarding library
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 05:51:04 am »

You have a couple of choices. To run a real library sever and sync the changes, or to have the files on the server and point the clients to those files. There are plus and minus to both ways.
By running the client with the Read Only flag set, you'll not be able to write anything to the files or side car files I think. I doubt that you'll be able to do imports from the client as well.
The library should at the very least be reset when you start MC again next time. Wiping out the new imports.

If you open the library in read mode, you'll be able to add the imported files to the library, but you'll end up writing data to other files as well. You COULD go this way, and go in the library management and remove the "write to files when possible" option on each library field. That might prevent some writing.

The third option is to run a real library server and client setup. You can choose if you wan to activate sync or not on each client, effectively stopping sync of data from clients. However, this method also limits importing, as this have to be done on the library server in most cases. You can get around this by for instance import to a directory on the servers file share, and have the MC server pick up those new files with auto import.

I like to use the Library server and several clients. This increases the usage scenarios in my case. It also decreases maintenance by having a single place to do the editing, and having all data synced between clients. The limitations in editing files on the clients and importing from the clients is a bit negative though.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up