INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: OFF-to metalheads here  (Read 8275 times)

zevele1

OFF-to metalheads here
« on: May 04, 2002, 04:34:24 am »

Can you give me sites or tell me about all the metal brews
What is alternative metal-black-death-gothic-metalcore-nu-metal-rapcore-spiritual-power metal
Few words and name of one or two bands will be great

Do not think i am that dum,i know what is stoner,doom,grindcore,industrial...not bad

Listening to the stoner/doom metal mp3.com playlist.Using the free trial of  PlusPlayer
Very convenient to use,but the sound is very bad

ZRocker

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:OFF-to metalheads here
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2002, 04:49:52 am »

You can do a Web Media search in MJ 8.0 for 'ZRocker' and listen to some good old and new metal there (a streaming internet radio station).

For a website (if that's what you are looking for), here's a LINK to one.

Trelane

• World Citizen
  • Destroy him, my robots.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2002, 09:19:56 am »

Genres are bad! Next Page But as far as I know...

Power Metal: melodic
Gothic Metal: can be very ambient or hard, much like industrial metal in my opinion
Rapcore: rap/metal mix
Metalcore: metal/rap mix
Death Metal: very hard, usually accompanied by throaty vocals
Alternative Metal: bands like Disturbed (ugh) and Korn (double ugh) would fall in this genre

These are just my opinions from listening to the various types above. My favorites would be industrial, some death metal, and just plain metal Next Page

Some good bands on MP3.com you may want to check out...

Teque: http://www.mp3.com/teque
Skweeg: http://www.mp3.com/skweeg

Mike
Listening to: 'Self Immolation' from 'Soul Of A New Machine' by 'Fear Factory' on Media Jukebox

zevele1

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2002, 10:17:29 am »

thank you!
I like very much mp3.com,and sure there is a lot of good bands.Today i played the doom\stooner charts playlist.With the PlusPlayer.It is very convenient to use.You get direct acces to the band page,without colors and grafics,so very fast.But they use Windows MediaPlayer.So the sound is.......
I like very much the fact that you can search bands by countrys
As you understand,i am not a metal head.But nothing happens in rock rigth now.Only in metal you can find innovation.On the top of it my two partners in business are metalheads.If you do not know what is it to get Slayer live at 6'oclock in the morning,i can tell you...

I like very very much industrial metal.Some grincore from time to time as well.I HATE all the kind of Satriani and the guitarist from Sweeden stuff and progmetal makes me sick

But i am a little bit lost with all this genres.And metal is very big at it...From time to time i have a look at some french metal magazines from my partners,each record is under a different style!

Here, we have a lot of metal bands.
On mp3.com [and from there links to bands sites]: Salem-Eternal Grey-Lehavot-Method-Rabies Caste- and more
If you like industrial ,go to vulturescultures.com You will get two GREAT mp3.I saw them few days ago live,it was really good

Listening now to the gothic metal charts playlist.Looks like goth music ,a lot,only louder

Try Corpus Cristii an industrial band from Portugal.This is great stuff.If you travel in the galaxy from time to time,i can put it......

sekim

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2002, 10:37:38 am »

zevele10,

Don't like Joe?? Swede metal?  Try 'Green Carnation'. I think they are from that region of the world. Think they are 'goth-metal'.

sekim

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2002, 10:41:34 am »

Some others that are interesting

The Step Kings

Tin Star

The Living End

Not all metal, but different then what you would hear around here. I think the Step Kings are an Aussie band. If I recall, you said you liked bands from down under.

apollumi

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2002, 10:41:46 am »

two bands that will change your impression of prog metal: meshuggah and opeth
my other favorites: pantera, tool, and zao

sekim

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2002, 10:45:35 am »

Isn't the 'Funeral Song' by Opeth?

apollumi

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2002, 10:59:51 am »

they have a song called The Funeral Portrait if that's what you mean

sekim

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2002, 11:15:10 am »

That's what it was. Caught just a few minutes of it one night on DirectTV music channels. Couldn't remember, was a while ago.

zevele10- I'm really pushing 'Soulfly'. The more I listen, the more I like.

Thought of a couple more....

Deftones

Slayer

Machine Head ( imagine that )

Trelane

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2002, 11:25:56 am »

Here's some more to check out:

Fear Factory
Judas Priest
Pantera
Testament
White Zombie
Rob Zombie

ZRocker

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2002, 11:37:33 am »

Checkout Chrome and Misery Loves Co., as well.

zevele1

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2002, 11:51:29 am »

Let me tell you how i buy metal.At 1$ the cd and my mean criteria is the country....
I have metal from all other the word,include far-east.Got a lot from Sweeden,Norway.Of cause the ones from Sweeden are very good.Normal this country have the best punk,neo-garages,neo-psy bands ,so no raison for metal bands no good
The one i hate has a kind of name to sleep in the street with an hotel voucher in the pocket as we say in french.King of ygwie something
Not long ago ,i was at a concert with this kind of bands.Not only it was dreadfull,but the audience as well.They do not move,they are very serious.Yes they have very nice T shirts..........
I have Opeh on Emusic,so i will give a try.But i am the kind who think that six strings on a guitar is five to much to play rock,so..........

In fact that i really like is Stoner rock.First Stoner and me are very good friends and we meet very often...Second,young as i am, i got the Blue Cheer records in 68,69.And Stoner bands have only one sting on they guitars
Will seach for all the bands you gave me ,thank you

Play the MC"5 first album,Husker Du 'zen arcade' and after you will feel that most of the metal is easy listening stuff....

WHAT IS NU-METAL?

zevele1

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2002, 11:57:41 am »

Chrome?Is this metal?I have records from this band since years and i like them
Maybee we do not speak about the same band
They did 'Debris','3rd from the stone','into the eye of the zombie' and more i do not remember.With Diamond Edge?I know him.Chrome was based in France for few years

mphorton

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2002, 11:58:37 am »

just another opinion for balance . . .

heavy metal - hard rock for drag queens
industrial metal - heavy metal for those that want to move their body around a little rather than just nodding thair head up and down
alternative metal - heavy metal without the hair, jewelry and cute outfits
goth metal - heavy metal for outcast young teens that want the shock effect of goth with the sexist machismo lyrics of heavy metal
death/black metal - goth metal for those whose interest in S&M isn't fantasy
power metal - heavy metal for those that haven't finished their comic book reading stage in life

Michael

zevele1

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2002, 12:08:17 pm »

glad "to see" you.Many regular customers do not show up this last time-include myself
We had a name for hard rock NWOBHM fans in France;moule boules

moule from mould,  boules=balls
Because of the very sticky black plastic pans who was part of the look

ZRocker

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2002, 12:23:11 pm »

mphorton

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2002, 12:25:15 pm »

>>>>>>>very sticky black plastic pans

????

darn I hope translation problems explain that one

listening to: Echo & The Bunnymen - The Cutter

Roger the Shrubber

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2002, 12:37:19 pm »

True metal died a long time ago.....like in the 70's.

We're now stuck with a bunch of under-talented, over-produced, over-categorised, pretentious, over-marketed and over-hyped prats that wouldn't know the difference between Grounhogs, Budgie and Hawkwind......(and what about Syd Barret)

Imagine what the REAL metal bands could have achieved with modern recording and MTV "marketing" techniques!

Those old dudes were really into the music. The sex and drugs were a bonus, not part of some contract!

Maybe I'm just a BOF....but....I'm just ain't interested in this modern "metal" ####e.....

zevele1

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2002, 12:45:35 pm »

not even a translation mistake,just a plain mistake.
Tight.Was thinking in french at this time.Stick to the skin in french,not tight
I use to think in the language i use-french-hebrew-english.If not i mess around
And you know what?I dream in different languages

mphorton

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2002, 01:04:26 pm »

Oh!!! Pants!! Tight pants!

not sticky pans

saw a segment on tv recently about some old heavy metal stars

looked like they weren't too far removed from a life of sitting on tight metal pans

mphorton

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2002, 01:10:56 pm »

>>>>>>>>>I dream in different languages

any consistency in language amnong types of dreams?

zevele1

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2002, 01:13:17 pm »

Roger l'arbuste
Can you tell me what means BOF?If you answer me beurre-oeufs-fromage ,are you ready for tomorrow?
I do not see Barret or Grounhogs as metal.Ok for Hawkind,but for a part only.Buggie was much more a categorie B band.
You speak about heavy metal.In my opinion metal is different from heavy metal.And there is very good things in metal today.With,you are right a lot of SmerdeT going on
I do not think that it is a good thing to just stop to listen to music from year x or y.Because you miss a lot of good time,of fun.As i said i got the Blue Cheer albums in 1968,not yesterday,but the same time than Hawkind,Grounhogs,Since this time i allways try to listen to everything and it gives me good times.
Of cause ,there is music i hate:jazz rock,fusion.There is music i do not likeNext Pageop,prog.
But other kind of music i do not stop to try
Most of the bands are very stupid people playing music.The "real metal" band as you say with MTV would have be the same than bands today:idiots speaking nonsens or very stupids things

If you take the brains of 80% of  all the bands on earth since 30 years,put together you are not sure to make Frankenstein,you will not have enougth brains...........

mphorton

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2002, 01:24:36 pm »

-

zevele1

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2002, 01:30:42 pm »

Did not see pans!!!!It was pants of cause
Concerning dreams,it is according to the dream.If i dream about my father=french,about here=hebrew,about JimH=english
The same with thinking.If it is about work or friends here,i think in hebrew.If i think about my family,it is in french.If i think about some posts on interact,it is in english
There is a good thing about it:unlike many people i never speak the wrong language to the wrong person
But with my partners[one french,one belgian]we mix all.Taking the shorter word in any language
If i write a list for shopping,the same

listening to Blue Cheer on my stereo,using a not expansive turnable

Trelane

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2002, 01:45:08 pm »

Roger:
There's plenty of great metal out there, though hard to find through the mountains of teenie bopper metal and pop. That's what makes the Internet a wonderful tool. MP3.com is great, there's a lot of excellent bands on MP3.com (metal or otherwise).

Please stop watching MTV and believing that bands like Korn, Disturbed, and Linkin Park are all that is being put out. Browse around MP3.com or browse your local record shop. I highly recommend Fear Factory if you've not heard anything by them. They are, in my opinion, the best metal band of the 90s.

Mike
Listening to: 'Suck' from 'Broken' by 'Nine Inch Nails' on Media Jukebox

Ton-Up

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2002, 01:49:03 pm »

If we're talking industrial let us not forget Psalm 69 by Ministry, the definitive industrial album IMHO.

Roger the Shrubber

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2002, 01:51:23 pm »

zeveledude,

BOF = Boring Old F A R T (spaces included free of charge in case of onboard sensitivity)

Here's my HEAVY metal (strictly a 70's term anyhow):

Led Zep, The Who (Who's Next), Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Flash, Budgie (ain't no "B" band...unless all modern metal is/are), Floyd (pre Dark Side), The Sabs, Jethro Tull (yep...pre that commercial self-indulgent monstrosity Aqualung), Grand Funk (good ol' US of A), Hendrix Experience, Fleetwood Mac (Oh Well era with Peter Green), Cream, Montrose, pre sell-out-at-all-costs Aerosmith, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Jericho, Robin Trower, good old Dio and Rainbow (getting pretty weak here), Free, Bad Co., Greenslade (two keyboards!).....heck, even Alce Cooper and Zappa on a good day.....and of course...the trailblazers of "Pop Metal", ZZ Top...

BTW, first three-piece power chord metal band? The Troggs! What a wild thing it was too...

Have a good one.....

zevele1

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2002, 02:51:01 pm »

roger all the young dudes

Pink Floyd pre dark side HEAVY METAL?
Jethro Tull this was-stand up,heavy metal?
Hendrix heavy metal?
Troggs heavy metal?
I understand what you mind when you say heavy metal,but you have a very personnal definition of heavy metal.Anyway music is important,not the way you-we call it
The first Aerosmith was a dam good record.I have a live from this time and it is a Yarbirds tribute.I still have a soft spot for the firsts Grand Funk and the first live.I saw them in Paris.ANYONE left it was so loud.The first and only time i saw people listening to a band from the lobby
For me Who next? is allready the beginning of the end for the WHO.Concerning the band with 2 keybroards,except Voxx organ for garage music ,i am very afraid of bands with one keybroad,so 2 sounds like a menace to me

Concerning BOF. In France they used it during wwII.Means Butter-Eggs-Cheese.About people who before politics,patriotism,ideologie had this concern.To get one or all the 3
Today means people interested by not that much than  this 3 things.

Now,i know that many BOF[english] are BOF[french].Such a breaking news is good to go to bed
Sunday morning 2 o'clock here

Enjoy your metal,heavy or not--have a nice week-end

mphorton

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2002, 03:04:32 pm »

Roger the Shrubber

NY40Male would be very frustrated with this thread (remember, he wanted to know the EXACT genre in which to place Frank Sinatra to avoid flack from friends). What you term "heavy metal" is, for the most part, what I call "hard rock." With that in mind, my definitions above of heavy metal, industrial metal, et al, may make more sense to you. I guess "heavy metal" and "hair metal" are the same to me. To me, we went from Deep purple/Black Sabbath/Led Zepplin (hard rock) to Judas Priest (transition) to  Def Leppard, Great White, Mötley Crüe, Whitesnake (heavy metal), and the other styles were off-shoots from there. I will admit to only having a cursery knowledge of the topic, though, and my above description was just to have a little fun with it.

Help! I'm being dragged to a Who/Counting Crows concert in L.A. A set-up so that I can "get to know" my soon-to-be brother-in-law. Not much else to learn after being told which events I had to choose from (the other was some NASCAR event).

Michael

zevele1

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2002, 03:22:46 pm »

Have a drink outside during the who.Counting Crows can be not bad.They first albums are good
Still do not get the point.Pink floyd,Jethro tull,mac,free,trogs,hendrix,heavy metal or hard rock,i do not understand
Hard rock was in fact the word,not metal.Not yet at this time.And hard rock was really"moule boule"
The problem with hard rock ,metal is that most of the time they play loud but with not that much power and blank[?] music.Listen to Black Flag or Husker Du,there is more power,energie,richeness than in 2000 metal albums
But i see now that there is some metal who is just great

mphorton

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2002, 03:25:23 pm »

>>>Still do not get the point.Pink floyd,Jethro tull,mac,free,trogs,hendrix,heavy metal or hard rock,i do not understand

if for me--I just fixed a typo

>>>>Black Flag or Husker Du

examples of very, very good music

listening to: Replacements - Bastards of Young

Where's Machinehead?  He'll get this whole crazy mess straightened out.

ZRocker-what, no commentary on my genre descriptions? I'm disappointed.

zevele1

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2002, 03:48:49 pm »

Husker Du 'Zen arcarde'one of the best rock album of all times

Concerning "i do not understand" Just how all this bands can be put in the heavy metal or hard rock
I am new to metal concert and was really surprise to see all the people dress in black
I found a super orange shirt.Kind of washed color but orange.I just bought it for metal concert
anyway i am part of the small club of "grand fathers'of the israeli scene,so i do not need orange shirt to be reconised in the 12-18 years old [60%] and the 25-35 years old[40%] public

Next week-end festival'a rock a agressivi'-you see you understand hebrew!-
2 nights,In fact garage,punk and some hardcore.But before this ,2 concerts in the week.New bands who sent me a flyer

sekim

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2002, 05:17:16 pm »

Sorry, took a nap today. Next Page Going golfing tomorrow, so I needed to get my self into top form with a powersnooze.

Roger the Shrubber - Guess I would agree with MHorton on your view of metal. Actually, I would consider most of that classic heavy. But that's just my opinion.

MHorton - Love the fact that I can still listen young.

zevele10 - Husker Du is one of the great Minnesota treasures, musically speaking. My personal favorite was New Day Rising. But they may have been more of a punk band then metal. Last of a dying breed. Helmut is another one that kind of falls in this group.

Trelane - Fear Factory is  metal, true. But they are hybrid as much as Korn. Who I like. Must be the bagpipes, Scottish heritage.

TRY ALSO

Marilyn Manson, psycho or not, this guy gives up some interesting music.

Queensryche - Progressive metal

Modern covers of Budgie and some that were mentioned above are done by Metallica on their Garage Inc.

Trelane

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2002, 05:34:36 pm »

Machine Head:
I would consider Digimortal a "hybrid," and Remanufacture just plain sucked (hehe) but I wouldn't put them in the same group as Korn. Soul Of A New Machine, Demanufacture, and Obsolete just plain rocked... highly recommended albums covering three different subgenres of metal. That's what makes me like Fear Factory over many other bands, because of their ability to change their style without completely selling out like many other bands (cough, Metallica, cough). It's a shame they've broken up... Next Page

Now, don't get me wrong, I liked Korn's first album. But everything since then was just okay to me.

sekim

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2002, 06:54:05 pm »

Trelane,

Yeah, I know everyone dislikes Metallica. They stood up for themselves, and many other artists as well, by basically killing Napster. Nontheless, Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning are tremendous examples of Metal. Don't get me wrong, I like Fear Factory.

Like everything else, metal goes through changes. Some of todays bands are cookie cutter examples of something original. Disturbed - You know, I bought that album and at first I thought not bad. Then when the local station played it every third song or so...well, it got old fast. And you get the feeling it is a label pushing the hell out of it. The more I heard, the less I liked. Now it gathers dust on the shelf.

So I sift through alot of rubish to find a gem here and there. One that shows some promise...Skrape. Again, sort of hybrid metal. You know, they are starting to use a lot more programming in some of this type of music. Some is OK, some just plain S***.

Trelane

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2002, 07:13:45 pm »

Yeah, I agree with you on Metallica. I love their early work (...And Justice For All and Ride The Lightning are my favorites) but have been displeased with everything since the Black Album (which is okay depending on the mood I'm in when I listen to it).

I was in the same situation with Disturbed. I have the CD on my shelf collecting dust for the same reason: overplay on the radio. When you really listen to it, it's not that great of an album anyway.

An album that has recently surprised me was Demolition by Judas Priest. Those guys can still rock Next Page Oh, and I can't forget Pure by Gary Numan. Although not metal, it's a very dark album. Complete 180 degree turn from Cars Next Page If you like Nine Inch Nails, you'd probably like Pure... I had difficulty finding it here in the US through local channels, but it's probably quite easy to find online. Check out this full length sample available from Spitfire Records: http://www.spitfirerecords.com/mp3/NumanRip.mp3

ZRocker

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2002, 07:21:56 pm »

That Gary Numan track is pretty good (NiN sound)...I'm gonna look for the CD now...thanks!

zevele1

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2002, 11:11:04 pm »

Metallica is a good band.Unlike metalheads,i think that the black album is they master
I saw them 2,3 years ago?It was the last concert of they world tour.It was good
But like all "the big",it was no more than one song after one song.Nothing happens,there is no room for impro.It is like a jukebox.A very well set racer car.No mistake,no fantasy.
It is not only Metallica,it is most of the bands,singers.Except Pearl Jam.A Pearl Jam concert is still a Happening.I saw them 2 years ago in Paris,this was a rock concert
But if you are "in",you have to say that Pearl Jam is .....
Anyway it is one of the few bands i have both in vinyl and cd.And i have a lot of bootlegs
By the way did i tell you i really like Pearl Jam?

sekim

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2002, 04:52:34 pm »

zevele10,

Have you done some digging into these bands? More to check out...

System of a Down

Monster Magnet

Listening to System of a Down - Toxicity. These guys are just a mash of speed metal. Good stuff.

Trelane

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2002, 05:41:50 pm »

System Of A Down definately tears it up!

Poison Dan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2002, 01:07:02 am »

Nothing constructive to add to this thread, but I just wanted to mention:

Trelane, I really like your taste

Fear Factory and Nine Inch Nails are two of my favorite bands ! (others are Tool and Deftones).

And I love all Metallica albums up until the black album (and Garage Inc Disc 2 - you can probably guess why). It's pretty hard to believe the Load/Reload albums are made by the same band.

Thanks for the Judas Priest/Gary Numan tips. I'll check them out.

BTW I'm gonna see Tool and SOAD on Ozzfest in two weeks, and looking forward to it !!

Jazzwolf

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2002, 04:31:25 am »

>>Have a drink outside during the who<<
I think that would be a BIG mistake!
I saw The Who over a year ago at the Garden and they were still tearing it up. They had Ringo's son as the drummer and he was pretty good. Sure, they are not The Who of my youth and they sure as hell look old but 30% of The Who is still BETTER than 90% of the crap that is out there now.

zevele1

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2002, 07:07:28 am »

The Who of my youth are them in concert at the time of My Generation,Live at Leeds Isle of Wight[?].I must say that even Tommy in Paris was a good concert
I saw a video,or a record ,just do not remenber ,from them during one of they last tours in the US

And we have to speak about a very sorry categorie of rock ,right now: the PATHETIC rock
There is 2 streams in this categorie
-The ones unlucky to be still alive and who do not know to stop:
who-u2-stones-uria heep-r e m-iggy pop- pink floyd -most of the time,but not allways,dylan,lou reed.If i had millions i would give them money to stay home and shut they month
_the second stream is the VERY pathetic reformation-re-union stuff.You have to understand that they just know how to more or less play music,they are not able to do another thing for a leaving.On the top of it, part of them have so much brains that they will not succes a test to get a job at 7/11 or Mac Do.......So you have all the deep purple,black shabbat,monkeys,aerosmith and many many other who give you even more s-h-i-t than mtv

I will never ever go to see this junk,buy a record,not even listen to it
Ok it is music,kind of.Now if you want to tell me this is rock music,in this case elvis peanuts butter presley live at las vegas is the wildest,greatest rock album of all the time....And instant coffee is the real expresso

MachineHead
Not yet but i wrote down all the names of the bands on "my computer notebook".from one side =computer:tweacks,programs to look at,how to..From the other sides:name of bands i have to listen.Concerning Ministry,i will even not try to find it on the web.Just buy it next time i stop by the shop.
Concerning Zen Arcade,blak flag and MC5 live,i know it is not metal.But-most of the time-metal is about power music,violent music.And this bands/albums are much much more this kind of things that any metal
Let say meat,nerves and bones.Many times metal is this ....but with some fat,if not many fat

anyway ,all of us like the music he likes[very deep statement].But do not call meat a fish,and rock las vegas look alike music

You know what?I even know people who tell me beatles is rock!!!!!!!!!!!!OF CAUSE IT IS NOT

I still would like to know what is nu-metal

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2002, 08:03:08 am »

Hi,

Nothing much to say about Heavy metal but I enjoy reading the thread?

Roger, I was suprised to see one of my favourite album (Who's Next) classified as Heavy Metal
for me all this is just Rock'n Roll Next Page

[[The ones unlucky to be still alive and who do not know to stop:]]
Zev, you're right, as a Stones addict since 1970 I really don't know how to stop Next Page

A part cela Le Pen est reparti chez lui la queue entre les jambes !

Sois fort Zev !

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

zevele1

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2002, 12:35:02 pm »

Rolling Stones...I saw them so many times...I was take allmost by force by friends to they "big concerts" Hypodrome .I would say that it was still almost a pleasure.And latter to one in a stade.First band was Gun.This was not fun.I saw they last tour on russian tv-live from Moscow i think.It was a big junk
anyway they are THE REAL ROCK&ROLL BAND ON EARTH.Keith is THE ONLY R&R GUITARISTE ON EARTH
And the guitar solo on sympathy for the devil IS THE GREATEST ROCK GUITAR SOLO OF THE FULL GALAXY

mphorton

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2002, 12:57:52 pm »

>>>>>>>Keith is THE ONLY R&R GUITARISTE ON EARTH

Zevele10--I've always loved your sense of humor, but this takes the cake. I hate it when I belly-laugh so hard that I can't catch my breath!

There are many fine R&R guitarists out there but KR and that dude from the Who are among the very worst lead guitarists in any band that's sold over a hundred records. Mick Ronson and Mick Ralphs are pretty sorry also.

Just stirring the pot.

Listening to: Happydeadmen - Heavy Metal Rules

Any votes for somewhat-above-competent R&R guitarists out there?  Steve Hunter? Ritchie Blackmore? "Buck Dharma" Rosier?  K.K. Downing? Malcolm Young?
I don't know--not my kind of music. Think that I might vote for Steve Hackett or Steve Howe. Or. Roger McGuinn. George Harrison? No, it'd be Marty Willson-Piper.

Michael

zevele1

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2002, 01:50:40 pm »

you speak about guitarists.
I speak about ROCK guitarists.They do not have to know how to play very well.Most of the time,when they know how to play,they are just borring.
They just need to have the rock spirit.I am still waiting for Keith Richard to take long solos or to play"look i am not so idiot,i even know how to play some very challenging technicals parts"To make short to have a non R&R attitude
I speak about R&R guitar soli,not 20 minutes circus junk with all the garbage litting lighters.
The solo in sympathy for the devil IS the R&R solo par exellence.Short,sharp,anything is said in few seconds

But many guitarists do not understand that lead guitar do not mean solo guitar.As i told you ,listen to the New-York Dolls.Johnny Thunder plays soli during the songs,inside the music,not alone"and now it is me".And ,of cause,NY D are a great R&R band

Between blackmore,hakett,howe and hamas,i take hamas ,everyday....
Steve Hunter is not a great guitarist,even if his guitar on live his a master.

Hendrix-hendrix-hendrix-hendrix-hendrix-hendrix-hendrix-hendrix-hendrix-hendrix
Here is my top ten

sekim

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2002, 03:31:18 pm »

zevele10,

I'm gonna have to take sides for the greatest R & R guitarist of all time.... Eddie Van Halen.  When the first VH album came out I was floored. Who knew that you could make a guitar sound like that? He played with his back to the crowd before hitting the big time so no other guitar guru's in the crowd could see what he was doing. By far, one of the most gifted players of all time. Too bad they went POP!!!! Makes me sick thinking about it.

Jazzwolf

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2002, 05:09:53 am »

>>anyway they are THE REAL ROCK&ROLL BAND ON EARTH.Keith is THE ONLY R&R GUITARISTE ON EARTH
And the guitar solo on sympathy for the devil IS THE GREATEST ROCK GUITAR SOLO OF THE FULL GALAXY<<

Zevele10,
While I wouldn't swear on it, I believe that the guitar solo on that record is by Brian Jones. The only reason I say it is because I remember in 1969 when he died there were all these tributes to his GREAT guitar playing on Beggars Banquet. I have always been a Stones fan and though they really haven't made a great album since "Tattoo You" (actually the last REALLY great one was Sticky Fingers), I still enjoy listening to them. One of the best times of my life was spent having a couple of Heinekens with Mick Jagger at my old job in 1980 and talking boxing. He is a big sports fan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up