INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accessing Synology Media Server from Multiple Instances of MC17  (Read 1790 times)

disciple32101

I have a dedicated computer running my media center which my wife and children also use. I have a number of things that I would like to accomplish with my setup.

1. I would like only my account to have full read/write/delete to the music, photo, and video files which I have on a Synology DS1812+ SAN;
2. I would like different family members to have read only access to different "age-appropriate" subsets of the music and video files;
3. I would like each family member to be able to manage their own MC17 library, adding and deleting music from their own library, creating playlists, etc.; and
4. I would like each family member to be able to run MC17 regardless of whether someone else left MC open in another session.

The access issues for Items #1 and #2 are the easiest and are managed at the SAN. But in order to allow each person to have their own library AND be unaffected by what another user might have left open in their session I believe I need to do two things.

1. I need to install separate instances (multiple binary installations) of the MC17 files accessible solely to that user's account; and
2. I need to know "separate" the music and video files from the library files so each user has the flexibility to "manage" their own library.

Has anyone else had a need similar to this and identified the best way to manage it? Any suggestions anyone can offer are appreciated.

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
Re: Accessing Synology Media Server from Multiple Instances of MC17
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 09:00:39 pm »

I think your idea of installing MC for each individual user and specifying a seperate library location for each install in that user's home directory will be the easiest solution.  I don't remember off the top of my head what the requirement is to install a program that is available for only one user, is this windows 7?

disciple32101

Re: Accessing Synology Media Server from Multiple Instances of MC17
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:31:23 am »

Yes, I am running under Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit. The issue I'm having is when trying to install separate instances of MC17 I am not asked to specify the directory for the application.

Any suggestions you can offer are definitely appreciated!

Herb
Pages: [1]   Go Up