INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few questions about streaming over IE or Gizmo  (Read 2021 times)

opy01

• Junior Woodchuck
A few questions about streaming over IE or Gizmo
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:30:39 pm »

I've got MC17 working the way I want now and finally got it to stream to my PS3 so I finally decided to mess with Gizmo and the web interface.  At home it does ok but pauses to buffer randomely but at work it plays for 2 seconds then buffers for several seconds then plays for 2 more and so on forever.  In MC in the client options I set the audio to MP3 low bandwidth and the video is set to MPEG2 low bandwidth.  Right now it made it a minute in and has been just sitting there with the four dots rotating for about 10-15 minutes.  Is there anything I can do to fix this or is this the way it is over the internet?  I've looked through this area and can't find much at all on it.  Of course forum search functions arent the best lol.  There are a few things I've noticed and would like to ask about.

1. I started playing with this last week and this weekend I noticed 4 videos all named VideoStream - xxxx.flv.  I had to close MC and Media Server to delete one of them.  Why did they show up in my list?  (it may have been something to do with auto-import, I've fixed that now)

2. every time I try to watch a video it creates a new file "VideoStream - xxxx.flv" where the xxxx are four random numbers.  I watched while I tried to play one video and it created a file over 950 megs in size.  The video never played very long even though the file size stopped growing.  I hit the back button then tried to restart the video and it created a new file.  Why does it not use the previously created file?

3. There are now almost 4 gigs of file in there.  How long does it take before they are deleted since they are not used again?

4. Are there any other settings to make this faster or is there a minimum internet upload speed I need for this to work half way decent?

opy01

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: A few questions about streaming over IE or Gizmo
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 04:39:40 pm »

bump?

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 05:34:35 pm »

Can you give some details on your network configuration and advertised internet upload speed.
I don't have any trouble streaming up to about a 1600k stream with a 2/20 connection.
Does your router have the ability to prioritize?
950 meg is hardly low bandwidth unless is was a trilogy or something else looong.
What did MC report for a bitrate for that file if you happened to check.
Sean

opy01

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 08:09:18 am »

My upload according to the speakeasy speedtest is .43Mbps.

I was trying to watch a 1 hour show that was recorded in SD from my STB (S-Video).  The show was 2.7G to begin with and I've seen good quality shows reduced to 350M.  In "Tools/Options/Media Network" I went to Client Options then Video Conversion and set it to MPEG2 low bandwidth stream.  Is this where I should set it or is there someplace else for cmpression settings for Gizmo?

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 10:17:27 am »

As far as I know that is the only setting for conversion, now whether Gizmo uses or not I don't know as it may have it's own conversion profile that is not configurable.
.43Mbps is a pretty small pipe for streaming video. Can you go to one of the VideoStream - xxxx.flv files and check to see what the video and audio bit-rates are listed as.
I have never used MC's conversion as I just create lower bit rate copies for streaming with an alternate program and use a smartlist to only show *streamable* videos in
Gizmo.
Sean

opy01

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 03:30:27 pm »

With Sage I used to comskip then compress using divx and get my 2G files down to 350-500M.  I guess I could set this up again for streaming.  I really can't wait to buy a house that can get U-Verse instead of stupid DSL that's limited to 512k upload at best.  I'll have to check the bit rate when I get home Monday.

Thanks for the reply :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up