INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Sync Client - read only or do not delete files  (Read 739 times)

surge

• Recent member
Library Sync Client - read only or do not delete files
« on: May 07, 2012, 03:32:56 pm »

My kids are old enough to use Media Center now.   :)

When I give them Media Center on their PC with a library sync to the main Media Center instance for the house, I am giving the kids the ability to delete files from Media Center.  The only way around this that I currently have implemented is to have the share drive that I have with the music files set up as read-only for the kids as users of the share drive.  Media Center does not seem to like that write-restriction, because the client Media Center instance wants to make tag updates.  However, I wish there was a way to restrict deleting from Library Sync on the server side, but still use library sync.  Or am I thinking about this wrong?

Surge

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library Sync Client - read only or do not delete files
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 04:42:38 pm »

I would very much like such a thing my self. To be able to block certain PC's from doing changes or deleting stuff. It's the only reason why I've never been able to allow my friends and family to use my library. It's one of the reasons I think a user/group based library is a good thing.

I think that this could sort of work if you do not give out the user name and password. If you don't authenticate with the server, then the changes will not be synced I think. But I'm not sure if this goes for everything like delete as well. You can try it and see if it does what you need. I would personally not be super thrilled before this can be locked from the server though.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up