INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRMC17 - Sound cuts off when changing to song with different sample rate  (Read 8532 times)

Phil_C

• Recent member

In JRMC17, playing music works fine except when I change to a song with a different sample rate (e.g. 16/44 kHz to 24/96 kHz) the sound cuts off.  Curiously, the JRMC17 progress bar shows the new song is still playing.  I have to unplug/replug the USB cable and reopen JRMC17 to workaround this and bring back the sound, but that is not satisfactory long term.   Suggestions?

Configuration:
Windows 7 Premium Home Edition 64-bit
Berkeley Alpha USB converter
Benchmark DAC1 HDR
WASAPI-Event Style selected per Berkeley Alpha USB user guide
Device driver supplied by Berkeley Audio Design (manufacturer); current version 1v26a

Phil_C

Phil_C

• Recent member

Bummer, still no reply.....this must be a very rare problem.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Update MC if you haven't.  The current version is 17.0.147.

But it's likely to be in the interaction with the driver for the device.  If an ASIO driver is available from Benchmark, you might try it.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers

Another option would be to upsample all of your lower sample rate files to your highest so the audio device doesn't need to switch.
I know it is not an ideal solution but it would work in the interim while you research an alternate solution.
It sounds like a hardware or driver issue to me.
Are you using the exclusive mode the WASAPI settings? If no some other device may be preventing the switch.
Sean

Listener

• MC Beta Team

Update MC if you haven't.  The current version is 17.0.147.

But it's likely to be in the interaction with the driver for the device.  If an ASIO driver is available from Benchmark, you might try it.

Good advice except that it is the Berkeley Alpha USB converter's driver you want to investigate.

MC --> driver --> Berkeley Alpha ---> Benchmark

Bill

Phil_C

• Recent member

Thanks Listener for the reply.

You are right, MC is interacting with the Berkeley Alpha USB converter box and its manufacturer supplied a driver.  So that is the driver involved.  I have contacted Berkeley Audio Design and they haven't heard of this problem, so they hold their driver blameless and suggest it is most likely a hardware or Win 7 OS problem.

I do have iTunes and Quicktime installed on the same PC as MC.  I wouldn't think that would matter though as I don't even open them at the same time.

I have been running MC 17.0.147

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Please try 17.0.157 (or newer) once it's available.

This change might help:
Changed: Audio playback loads and unloads output plugins from the same thread to prevent issues with drivers that didn't like different creation and destruction threads.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Phil_C

• Recent member

Thanks Scolex for the reply.

I'll keep your workaround suggestion in mind in case I need to resort to it.

I am running output mode WASAPI - Event Style with "Open device for exclusive access" selected at tools>options>audio output>output mode settings.

Phil_C

• Recent member

Thanks Matt for your reply.

I'll watch for MC 17.0.157 and then install it to see if that change you describe fixes the problem.  Fingers crossed and hope springs eternal.... :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up