INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [FIXED] Recording Analog TV using .ts  (Read 2046 times)

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
[FIXED] Recording Analog TV using .ts
« on: April 26, 2012, 08:20:29 am »

I am currently running 17.0.133 on my server (which is where all the recording takes place)

I have been using the .ts format for all my recordings since the change to allow us to use that format for recording from the Colossis analog input card.  I have noticed some strange behavior lately:

The first one is documented here - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71751.msg484979;topicseen#msg484979.  

The second one - Some of my recordings will have a 2 min recording and then a second recording of the entire show.  I have verfied there are truly two files in the directory.  It is almost as if MC starts recording the program twice and then decides to stop one of the recordings after a couple minutes.

The third one - This has only happened once that I have noticed.  Three programs were scheduled to record one the same channel directly after each other, each 30 min long.  They are all recorded from DTV using the Colossis input card.  The first program is showing 1.5 hours long and is indeed one continous recording of the channel, which includes all three programs.  The other two programs have a 0 length entry in MC and there is an extremely small file in the recordings directory.

MC crashed on my this morning at some point, but I captured the previous log after the restart and I can email it.

Alex

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Recording Analog TV using .ts
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 11:07:06 am »

Please email the log.  yaobing at jriver dot com
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 11:20:38 am »

Sent - thanks,

Alex

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 05:54:41 pm »

Thanks for the log.

It does show something really fishy.  I have to figure out what caused the problem.

Here is the chain of events:

MC started recording three shows at about the same time:

The Cat in the Hat... on WinTV HVR
Jake and the never land... on Colossus
The Nate Berkus Show on HDHomerun.

About 30 seconds later MC stopped the first two - strange.  I will have to try reproducing this.  The third show continued to record to end.

About 30 minutes later Dinosaur Train started on WinTV HVR, which also recorded to end.

30 minutes later Sesame Street started on WinTV HVR and The Martha ... started on Colossus.

All is good until you started playing a previous recording.  MC crashed.  The crash looks quite like other reported crashes.  We are looking into it.

So of the six shows, two stopped inexplicably, two recorded to completion, and two did not finish because of the crash.

Did I describe what happened correctly?  ;)

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 07:56:04 pm »

I was not home at the time, so I cannot say exactly what happened, but I can tell you what I have in MC and on the hard drive:

I have two Cat in the Hat recordings from this morning.  One is 0 min long and the other is 29 min long.  So it looks like after it stopped recording as you saw in the log, it did resume the recording.

I only have one Jake and the Neverland Pirates from this morning.  It is 0 min long, which matches what you saw in the log.  However, I also have a recording for Chuggington that started an hour before Jake.  Chuggington is only 30 min long, but the recording from this morning is 1.5 hours long and includes Mickey Mous Clubhouse and Jake.

The Nate Berkas Show looks ok.

Dinosaur Train looks ok.

The Martha Stewart Show has two recordings in MC.  One is nine minutes long and the other is 49 minutes long, so again it looks like MC resumed recording.

Sesame Street is exactly the same as The Martha Stewart Show.  Two entries - one 9 minutes - one 49 minutes.

Thanks for looking into this,

Alex

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 12:26:00 pm »

I have two Cat in the Hat recordings from this morning.  One is 0 min long and the other is 29 min long.  So it looks like after it stopped recording as you saw in the log, it did resume the recording.

What are the filenames of the recordings?  Are they these two?

T:\Recorded\The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That! 2012-04-26.ts
T:\Recorded\The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That! 2012-04-26 (1).ts

I only see in the log the start and stop recording of the second file.  Was puzzled by "(1)" appended to the end of filename.  Are you sure it is 29 minutes long, not 29 seconds?

I only have one Jake and the Neverland Pirates from this morning.  It is 0 min long, which matches what you saw in the log.  However, I also have a recording for Chuggington that started an hour before Jake.  Chuggington is only 30 min long, but the recording from this morning is 1.5 hours long and includes Mickey Mous Clubhouse and Jake.

Recording of Chuggington was not logged, but I see a lot of database related actions with respect to this file.  So maybe it had been recorded in previous session of MC (you had restarted MC?).

If that is the case, this may also explain why "The Cat in the hat" was stopped soon after it was started - because it had been recorded to near completion before you had to restart MC.  So the file with "(1)" appended was MC's attempt to finish the last bit of unfinished recording and it ended up being very short.

The Martha Stewart Show has two recordings in MC.  One is nine minutes long and the other is 49 minutes long, so again it looks like MC resumed recording.

Sesame Street is exactly the same as The Martha Stewart Show.  Two entries - one 9 minutes - one 49 minutes.

These two recordings were interrupted by the crash and later resumed when you restarted MC.

If MC had been running before the session that you logged, then most things can be explained, except that Chuggington was three times as long as it was supposed to be (and that part is not in the log you sent me).  Send me another log next time you see the same problem.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 12:58:49 pm »

What are the filenames of the recordings?  Are they these two?

T:\Recorded\The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That! 2012-04-26.ts
T:\Recorded\The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That! 2012-04-26 (1).ts

I only see in the log the start and stop recording of the second file.  Was puzzled by "(1)" appended to the end of filename.  Are you sure it is 29 minutes long, not 29 seconds?

T:\Recorded\The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That! 2012-04-26.ts - reports 29 min and is 2.6 GB
T:\Recorded\The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That! 2012-04-26 (1).ts - reports 0 sec and is 34 MB

Recording of Chuggington was not logged, but I see a lot of database related actions with respect to this file.  So maybe it had been recorded in previous session of MC (you had restarted MC?).

If that is the case, this may also explain why "The Cat in the hat" was stopped soon after it was started - because it had been recorded to near completion before you had to restart MC.  So the file with "(1)" appended was MC's attempt to finish the last bit of unfinished recording and it ended up being very short.

These two recordings were interrupted by the crash and later resumed when you restarted MC.

If MC had been running before the session that you logged, then most things can be explained, except that Chuggington was three times as long as it was supposed to be (and that part is not in the log you sent me).  Send me another log next time you see the same problem.

I don't think that Media center was restarted after Chuggington started recording.  It starts at 7:30 AM.  I sent the 'previous log' that was captured after I restarted from the crash and I did not restarted Media Center between the start of the Chuggington recording and the end of the log.

Also, I am seeing a lot of [filename].ts and [filename] (1).ts in my T:\Recordings directory.

Thanks,

Alex

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 05:29:31 pm »

Your log was started at 4/26/2012 8:59 AM.  So if you did not restart MC then, you probably reset logging.  Either way would explain this

Code: [Select]
T:\Recorded\The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That! 2012-04-26.ts - reports 29 min and is 2.6 GB
T:\Recorded\The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That! 2012-04-26 (1).ts - reports 0 sec and is 34 MB

as well as the fact I did not see start and stop recording of Chuggington.

Anyway, I did find a couple of bugs that could explain some of the issues, like having two files of each recording.  The fix will be in an upcoming new build.

Still not sure about one file being three times as long as expected.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 07:22:04 pm »

I guess I must have restarted the log.  Thank you for looking into this.  I look forward to the bug fixes.  If I see the issue with the long recording, I will let you know.

Alex

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 07:41:33 am »

Ok, I am having the long recording problem this morning.  Chuggington started recording at 7:30 this morning on Disney and the Colossus is still recording that channel as of 8:32.  There are three shows that are scheduled to be recorded on Disney every morning (Chuggington - 7:30 AM, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse  - 8:00 AM, and Jake and the Neverland Pirates - 8:30 AM).  All three shows are in one long Chugginton file, instead of showing up as three seperate shows.  I want to see if the Colossus stops recording after Jake.  This looks the same as the previous issue.

EDIT:  At 9 AM, when Jake and the Neverland Pirates ended, MC switched the channel on my DTV box and started recording a different show (as expected).  It created a new file for this show.  So, it looks like that if MC needs to record multiple shows on the same channel, it will (sometimes) not create seperate files for each show.  Today (02 May 2012), I have a file for Chuggington which is 6.3 GB and no files for Mickey or Jake.  I have only seen this while recording from my Colossus card while using the .ts format.  When I was recording in .jtv, I don't remember seeing this and it doesn't seem to be happening with any of my over the air recordings.

I have a log that was started on 4/27/12 at 7:50 PM.  I can trim some of the older info out of the file and send it if neccessary.

Let me know,

Alex

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 08:49:51 am »

I have a log that was started on 4/27/12 at 7:50 PM.  I can trim some of the older info out of the file and send it if neccessary.

Please do.

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 11:29:43 am »

Sent.

Thanks,

Alex

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 08:27:28 am »

Just to follow up on this.  I installed 17.0.144 last Friday and I have not had any issues with recordings all weekend.  It looks like you guys fixed these issues.

Thanks,

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up