INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Backup solutions?  (Read 11723 times)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Re: Best Backup solutions?
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2012, 09:56:18 am »

I've been using Genie Backup Manager Pro v8 for a number of years now. It's a pain to set up, but once done, really is "set and forget".

Every now and again, I look at their "Timeline" app. It is tempting, but what really puts me off is the idea that this thing runs constantly, keeping track of changes in real time, updating its back ups as you make changes.

It feels like one of those programs that gets itself deeply involved with your system, must surely be a marked performance hit, and I worry that it could be a pain to remove if a trial didn't work out, so simply don't go there! I've downloaded the setup file at least three times now, but never actually installed the thing.

Is there anyone out there using it? Or similar non-stop backup software? Is there a performance hit? Is my gut feeling that I really won't like this approach correct, or am I missing out on something brilliant?

-marko

I've also been using Genie Backup Manger Pro for years (currently v8). I use it in combination with Acronis True Image. I use Acronis for Image backups and use Genie for Mirror backups. For those that are not familiar a mirror backup backs up new or changed files and merges them with what starts as a full backup. It deletes deleted files from the backup. The mirror backup also deletes from from an old location if you move them and adds them to the new location.

I tried Genie Timeline. I used it for almost 2 years and never got it working well. It slowed down my system plus it consumed a lot of disk space. It could not delete fast enough to keep up with change. As a result I would have to abandon the backup and start over. For example, I had a backup configured with about 500 mb of data on a 1.5 tb drive. After 3 months the same 500 mb of data consumed the entire 1.5 tb drive. The only option is to delete the backup and start over. They recently came out with a new version of Timeline which I tried for awhile. I ended up uninstalling all versions of Timeline and my PC now runs much better.

rick.ca

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2012, 07:55:40 pm »

I've been a Retrospect user for probably 15 years now, at least.

Looks good. I see the cost of the 'Professional' version is USD 119. What is the upgrade price, and how often would it need to be upgraded?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2012, 08:18:07 pm »

Hmmm, I'm not sure.  Let's see, I purchased v 5.15 on 5/2001, updated to 5.5 sometime after that (these were the workgroup products),  then updated/lateraled to 7.5 (Professional) on 10-2006 for about $45, 7.7 on 12/2009 for about $32.

They periodically provide free maintenance updates to resolve problems or add support for new backup hardware (tape drives, etc).

The product has gone though a couple of owners, originally Dantz, then EMC, then Roxio (blah), and finally went back to being independent within the past last year.  I believe some of the original people are still with the team.  EMC, and especially Roxio, were lost as to how to market the product, and their purchases seemed to make little sense (EMC had a competing backup solution, Roxio was the wrong vendor for a professional-grade product).

The Windows version of late seems to be playing second fiddle to the Mac version.  It is still solid, but took EMC forever to come out with 7.7 for Win 7.   (I can't help but think of the SlimDevices products, after being purchased by the inept Logitech.)

There were very few solutions for workgroups / servers; and this product is still a fine choice.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2012, 08:33:38 pm »

We used to use Retrospect at my office.  It was....

Less than trouble-free.  Extremely troublesome, actually.  Performance wasn't great.  It was the primary thing our IT folks would complain about actually, and restoring from backups was anything but reliable.

That was many years ago though.  We abandoned the product during the early Roxio era.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrC

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2012, 08:36:09 pm »

Mac or PC version?  The Mac-rewrite was really problematic...

rick.ca

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2012, 10:48:40 pm »

Hmmm, I'm not sure.  Let's see, I purchased v 5.15 on 5/2001, updated to 5.5 sometime after that (these were the workgroup products),  then updated/lateraled to 7.5 (Professional) on 10-2006 for about $45, 7.7 on 12/2009 for about $32.

Thanks for taking the time to recall your history. That answers the question perfectly. The initial cost is a bit steep (although with the price difference, I've saved about 10¢/fun-packed-hour using Acronis), but it's not going cost $60/year to maintain. From the documentation, it seems it will do what I require—automatically maintaining generations of backup sets on one external backup disk (while managing the space available). Might you be able to confirm that is case? Also, does it work with a GPT? Hmm. Given it's age and lack of mention of GPT in the documentation, I suspect not. :(

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2012, 04:39:05 am »

I've also been using Genie Backup Manger Pro for years (currently v8). I use it in combination with Acronis True Image. I use Acronis for Image backups and use Genie for Mirror backups. For those that are not familiar a mirror backup backs up new or changed files and merges them with what starts as a full backup. It deletes deleted files from the backup. The mirror backup also deletes from from an old location if you move them and adds them to the new location.

I tried Genie Timeline. I used it for almost 2 years and never got it working well. It slowed down my system plus it consumed a lot of disk space. It could not delete fast enough to keep up with change. As a result I would have to abandon the backup and start over. For example, I had a backup configured with about 500 mb of data on a 1.5 tb drive. After 3 months the same 500 mb of data consumed the entire 1.5 tb drive. The only option is to delete the backup and start over. They recently came out with a new version of Timeline which I tried for awhile. I ended up uninstalling all versions of Timeline and my PC now runs much better.
Useful info, thanks for that.

MrC

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2012, 12:18:03 pm »

... automatically maintaining generations of backup sets on one external backup disk (while managing the space available). Might you be able to confirm that is case? Also, does it work with a GPT? Hmm. Given it's age and lack of mention of GPT in the documentation, I suspect not. :(

Yes, absolutely, it maintains generations automatically (I went and looked at my list of sessions for my current backup set, and see that I have daily backups stretching back to 3/26/2008, where that member has more than 13k files, ready to be restored).  When a device fills, either Retrospect asks for new media, or will perform automatic grooming, based on a set policy.  You can lock files for a specific time period to prevent grooming of these.  I don't know if you've seen the 7.5 user manual and 7.7 addendum - they are quite comprehensive.  There is a 30 (or 45?) day trial version.

No GPT on the Windows version that I'm aware of.  I can ask on the forums to see if it is planned.

rick.ca

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2012, 08:18:48 pm »

Yes, absolutely, it maintains generations automatically (I went and looked at my list of sessions for my current backup set, and see that I have daily backups stretching back to 3/26/2008, where that member has more than 13k files, ready to be restored).

Very impressive. All that time with nothing going wrong with its catalogue files? I did read about its Progressive backup in the manual, but I wasn't sure I was understanding or wishful thinking. It sounds like a never-ending incremental backup that's not dependent on the integrity of the chain as an actual incremental system is. If automatic grooming is able to keep a destination volume full with the latest of whatever will fit, then it can't get any better. I could probably do without GPT. I'm backing up a 300 Gb system partition and a 1.1 Tb partition to a 3 Tb external drive. That gives a traditional backup system enough room to manoeuvre, if the media backup is limited to two versions—and the generations are managed correctly (this is where Acronis fails miserably). With Retrospect, it seems I should be fine backing up to 1 and 2 Tb partitions respectively. That should be enough for a very long backup history for my system drive (which includes data files). I'm not sure what my turnover is on the media drive, but the progressive system will obviously include far more history than my current 2-generation (rotated every other week) incremental system does.

I can ask on the forums to see if it is planned.

That would be helpful. Even if I can do without it, it would be nice to know when the next update of the Windows version is planned. That's a concern. Despite your positive experience, I'm wary of depending on an Apple developer maintaining a Windows version as a sideline. :-\
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up