INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stacks as Cache  (Read 1590 times)

robydago

• Citizen of the Universe
Stacks as Cache
« on: May 07, 2012, 02:50:45 pm »

From this page:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Stacks

Stacks as Cache

Currently only available for the handheld conversions. When enabled under MC's Handheld options (select Cache converted file (via a stack) under Options->Handheld->Conversion->Conversion Cache),

I can't find that option.

What I'm trying to do is to create lower quaility audio files for a lot of my mp3 files and have them automatically stacked to the original files.

My hope is that than it should be fast and easy to update tags (all files in the same stack are automatically updated) and to sync my handheld devices without having to reconvert files that were previously converted (files will be retrieved from the cache location).

Can anyone help me?

sunfire7

Re: Stacks as Cache
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 06:28:01 pm »

The wiki is outdated, you can find stacks options under options > file location > Convertion Cache

You can set the location of the stack files, the quality and you can set to do the convertion in background

A stack is also created if you do a handheld sync (if you have audio stacks enabled)
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

robydago

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 12:15:18 pm »

Sunfire7m
thanks for your answer.

Ok, if I enable "Run conversion in background" the "Conversion format" do appear, but with only three presets quality settings  :o
I actually need to run an external audio processing program, like I can do when I use the handheld sync feature and select External Encoder.

A stack is also created if you do a handheld sync (if you have audio stacks enabled)

How do you enable audio stacks?

sunfire7

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 01:23:31 pm »

Sunfire7m
thanks for your answer.

Ok, if I enable "Run conversion in background" the "Conversion format" do appear, but with only three presets quality settings  :o
I actually need to run an external audio processing program
, like I can do when I use the handheld sync feature and select External Encoder.

I already requested the inclusion of an advanced window in addition to those three presets, if you want it too please request it to JRiver

How do you enable audio stacks?

Just enable it on options > file location > Audio cache location, and in the next sync if you have a convertion settings it will be stacked to the original
Mac version early bird

robydago

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 03:18:41 pm »

Thanks anyway for your help.

I'm not very good at feature requests to JR; besides, if it's only the two of us who need this feature, I guess we'll get ignored anyway...

sunfire7

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 06:21:28 pm »

Well, is not like a crazy impossible to do request... I think many users would welcome it.

In the past JRiver has listened to my requests, even being the only one who need it, so don't loose faith  :)
Mac version early bird

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 08:55:22 am »

Ok, if I enable "Run conversion in background" the "Conversion format" do appear, but with only three presets quality settings  :o
I actually need to run an external audio processing program, like I can do when I use the handheld sync feature and select External Encoder.

+1

Especially for video.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

robydago

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 09:18:21 am »

To work around this limitation, I'm trying to programatically stack the original and the processed files.

To create\update the cache files, I'm doing this via the sync to handheld MC feature:
-  Source files = Smart playlists (with file path <> sync destination folder)
-  Sync destination = a local folder
-  Mode = Always convert
-  Encoder = external encoder, i.e. a batch I wrote

The critical part is the batch.
It should do this:
A) Audio process (via some external exe programs) the input mp3 file and outputs a processed mp3 file (in the sync destination folder above)
B) stack the processed and original mp3 files together (note: apart from the path location, these files have identical MC tags)

My batch already does the A step.
I'm trying to achieve step B by running "mc17.exe /mcc 26018, 2".
So far, before including that command in my batch, I'm just testing it manually from a DOS command prompt, with MC running and all files I want to be stacked manually selected via the GUI in MC.

Two issues\questions:

- When I run the "mc17.exe /mcc 26018" command manually, MC prompts me for which type of file should be the stack top. But both the original and the processed files are mp3s; the only difference being the path location, is there anyway to tell MC that files in a specific path location should be on top of the stack?

- How will I tell mc17.exe which files to stack together when the /mcc command will be executed in my script? Will the "/mcc 26018" command process the whole library anytime is run?

robydago

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 10:17:33 am »

On a side note: can anyone confirm that manually updating tags of one stack should propagate those changes to all stacked files? I mean: to the physical files and not just inside MC, right?

I just tried changing the Title of one stack (of just two files) while the stack was not expanded in the MC GUI: when I expand the stack in MC, as expected, I see that both files have the new title tag.

But when I check the tags inside both files via Windows Explorer I notice that only the top of the stack file has been actually updated, while the other file in the stack still has the old title.

Furthermore, by forcing an auto import inside MC, the title tag of the bottom of the stack file in MC gets reverted to the old one  (so instead of updating the file from the MC library, MC is doing the other way around); so now the stack has two files inside it with different titles...

Pages: [1]   Go Up