INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: library sync/file copy question  (Read 1126 times)

jimf847

library sync/file copy question
« on: May 14, 2012, 03:37:05 pm »

I'm trying to "sync" (at least the way that I think about it) libraries across two computers. Actually, I'd like to keep identical copies of one library on two separate computers (the actual audio files) and have them sync to each other (actually copy files to the other drive) as I may add files to either (one is a laptop and one a desktop devoted solely to audio streaming). My question is wether during an initial sync if the audio files are physically copied from one library to another or are the just indexed to that library? Assuming that is the case (as it appears to be judging by the file path of a synced audio file) whats the best way to create an identical copy of an entire library (including audio files, library and playlists) on a second computer and sync the two libraries? Intuitively, Library Sync seems to be the answer but it does not seem to work the way I thought it would? Am I missing something. Thx.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
Re: library sync/file copy question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 04:07:02 pm »

The best way would to create a smartlist and have it only show duplicates of Name, Artist and Album.
Create a custom field (locations) that you can enter both, DT or LT in. All of the files listed in the smartlist should be in both so label them accordingly.
Now create another smart list and tell it to show files that the locations tag is not Both sort by location label all according to their location.

After that is done you can use the library tools Rename, Move and Copy Files feature copy all of the DT files to the LT and find replace DT with Both
repeat for files tagged LT.

This will require a consistent naming scheme to work correctly but it will work.
Another option which should be easier would be use a sync program for the files and configure MC auto import to monitor the folders.

See this backup discussion for some details on software that may do you file sync for you.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72117.0
Sean

jimf847

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 04:16:11 pm »

Thanks. That makes sense, i guess, although not as easy as I was hoping. Am I correct in assuming that two physical copies of an audio file one two seperate drives will not be "seen" as the same by MC even though the libraires are synced thus requiring the DT and LT tags/versions?

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 04:24:55 pm »

They can be made to be considered a duplicate or not that is dependent on how you tag the different copies and how you setup your views in MC.
If you have any specific concerns I will try to address them.

I will elaborate when I get a chance but don't have time ATM.
Sean

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 08:16:37 pm »

MC treats distinct files as distinct entries in the DB/Library.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up