INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo - Why Not Buffer Video?  (Read 1945 times)

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Gizmo - Why Not Buffer Video?
« on: May 15, 2012, 03:04:54 pm »

I travel a lot and would like to use Gizmo to watch movies and TV shows I have stored on my home HTPC when I'm away. This doesn't work very well because the playback constantly pauses for several seconds, which makes video unwatchable.

I realize I'm at the mercy of the hotel's wifi when this happens, but I really don't understand why Gizmo can't buffer the stream to prevent this. Any plans for this?

I've tried this with Gizmo on my Kindle fire and WebGizmo on my laptop from multiple remote locations and it's alwasy the same - too much pausing to watch.

Dark Pumpkin

Re: Gizmo - Why Not Buffer Video?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:48:24 pm »

This is kind of old, but since no one else has responded

What is your upload speed at home? You could have high speed 24mbit download, but you'd have to have a pretty good upload speed to get anything worth upstreaming from your home. If you have adsl, that's your problem.

wildcatknh

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 11:22:54 am »

This is kind of old, but since no one else has responded

What is your upload speed at home? You could have high speed 24mbit download, but you'd have to have a pretty good upload speed to get anything worth upstreaming from your home. If you have adsl, that's your problem.
I have 10MB upload speed at home and have noticed the intermittent pausing as well when streaming video to my cell or a web browser away from home.  I'm also curious if there's not something in MC that could be configured or improved to help this issue.
HTPC - Win10 Pro, AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 970, MC23
XBox One X | LG OLED 55B7A | Sony STR-DN1080 AVR

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 11:25:28 am »

Make sure you're using MC18.

Video with Gizmo got lots better (h.264 encoding, selectable quality, no Flash, etc.).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

wildcatknh

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 12:08:13 pm »

Make sure you're using MC18.

Video with Gizmo got lots better (h.264 encoding, selectable quality, no Flash, etc.).
I am using MC18.  Does file size have anything to do with this issue?  I stream some pretty large files.
HTPC - Win10 Pro, AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 970, MC23

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 12:09:30 pm »

Does file size have anything to do with this issue?  I stream some pretty large files.

File size shouldn't matter.  Performance of the server, upload, and download speeds all do matter.

You might try turning the quality / size down one notch in Gizmo.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

wildcatknh

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 12:19:29 pm »

Thanks.  I'll take a look at that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up