INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Find and Replace - File names  (Read 1020 times)

lowjoel

• World Citizen
Find and Replace - File names
« on: May 18, 2012, 09:04:45 pm »

I understand that in one of the earlier builds the ability to do a find/replace on file names was removed in favour of the Rename/Move files feature. I find that now there's a few things I can't do anymore...

I store all my media on a server, which I access over my LAN at home. I map the drive to W:, but I prefer to reference the files by UNC paths so that if I change computers I wouldn't have to explicitly map the drive (especially if it is a computer which is not mine -- my user config won't carry over). I accidentally imported the files using the drive letter via drag & drop and not through the proper Import menu, so now I'm stuck with a bunch of files in the wrong place (though the UNC path and drive letter is actually an alias)

My current workaround is to rename the files by moving it to a separate directory, then move it back. But since it's really the same file I'm wasting time by copying the files from the Drive to UNC path, when a database substitution would have been sufficient.

A separate problem is that if I were to replace an mp3 with a flac, I'd need to find some other way... if  get rid of the mp3, and put the flacs in the same folder with the same path, differing only by extension, there seems to be no way to retain the database information of the mp3 as I can no longer force MC to point to the flac then tell MC to write the tags again. I guess I could use Tag Paste, but sometimes the disc information isn't captured in databases and I'd really hate to type everything out again.

Any chance of get the old functionality back, maybe in a different form, with plenty caveat emptor messages plastered all over the place? Or a separate database editing tool?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Find and Replace - File names
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 10:18:41 pm »

The functionality still exists - use Rename in Update mode, using the Find & Replace section.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

lowjoel

• World Citizen
Re: Find and Replace - File names
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 10:20:02 pm »

=facepalm= thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up