INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aero glass "dated and cheesy"  (Read 3578 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DarkPenguin

Re: Aero glass "dated and cheesy"
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 05:48:53 pm »

Anything that requires less CPU is a good thing.  If the AC goes out in the lab you can't shut everything down before it bakes itself to death.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 01:05:28 pm »

That would go perfect with my Metro skin for MC!  ;D

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 02:39:41 pm »

Regarding Windows 8 in general, I feel like this:
http://techreport.com/discussions.x/22954

And this was an interesting read from Mr. Thurrott about this specific change:
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-release-preview-rip-aero-20032012-143133

I’m curious why Microsoft never explained the need to remove Aero. But let me offer up a reason, one that the company had mentioned previously with regards to the downtuned Aero version that’s appeared in Windows 8 builds so far and is mentioned in this mammoth post, too, but not with regards to the desktop:

It’s all about battery life.

Aero, with all its glassy, translucent goodness, is bad for battery life. Metro, meanwhile, which is flat, dull, not transparent, and only full screen, is very good for battery life. It’s predictable. There’s no worry that people will run overlapping anything, eating away at power cycles, because you can’t run overlapping anything with Metro: Everything is full screen and app lifecycles are automatically maintained by the system. God, the desktop was so pesky. How didn’t we see this before?

Whatever.

Rest in peace, Aero. I liked you, a lot. Still do. And I’ll miss you. I’m curious why Windows 8 can’t simply include Aero themes in addition to something flatter and duller, especially for those desktop PC-using power users who will primarily use the desktop environment and not care about (let alone need) better battery life. But I’m starting to see more clearly what’s happening here and starting to accept that Windows is growing into something that isn’t so much for me anymore as it is for some mythical tablet user base that may or may not appear in the future.

That brings me back to my central complaint about Windows 8 generally and Metro specifically: This is a neat thing that Microsoft’s building, it really is. But it should have occurred in something outside of Windows. (It should have been just Windows RT, minus the desktop.) Windows 8 isn’t even Windows anymore. It’s a tablet OS that’s been grafted onto Windows like a monstrous Frankenstein experiment.

Even if I was never as enamored of Aero as Paul, I have to agree a bit here...

No CompromisesTM seems like it is working out to be Not Without Compromises instead.  I hope it works out for Microsoft.  Really, I do.

But it feels like Vista.  And I wonder, can they survive another release like that?  I mean, the company won't go anywhere, obviously.  But if this doesn't work...  I think a big part of the gig might be up.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 03:34:58 pm »

But it feels like Vista.  And I wonder, can they survive another release like that?  I mean, the company won't go anywhere, obviously. But if this doesn't work...  I think a big part of the gig might be up.

So far they've never really learned from their mistakes. 98 was what 95 should have been. XP was what ME should have been (but was still horrible in its own way until after SP1) and 7 is what Vista should have been. Windows 8 after a few SP's (or Windows 9) will be what 8 should have been. On the server side things have been better but I still believe its plagued with repeated mistakes in GUI changes and general usability.

Quote from: Cyril from Techreport
"Ah, well," you might say. "If you don't like Windows 8, Cyril, you should just stick with Windows 7. Nobody's going to force you to upgrade."

That's true. Sort of. Sticking with an obsolete operating system always starts off great, but then you begin to miss out on new things. After a few years, Microsoft pulls the plug, and you're on your own with no software patches and no security updates. The sad thing is, I don't want to keep using Windows 7 forever. As nice an operating system as it is, it's not perfect, and many of Windows 8's Desktop improvements actually seem awfully compelling. However, I won't be able to enjoy them without dealing with all those Metro-related hassles.

In short, I'm going to be faced with an ugly compromise no matter what I do. And that's why Windows 8 frightens me.

I don't think it will be that bad. I never used ME, I skipped half of XP's lifetime, skipped Vista and I *will* skip Windows 8. Why? Because my desktop is not a friggin' tablet with a touchscreen. It's not some appliance in a public shoppingmall. I've never experienced the ugly compromises Cyril speaks of.

If it does turn out that bad though, I'll move to Linux eventually. Easier said than done but I *will* refuse to use a mobile phone interface on my desktop.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 09:13:31 pm »

If it does turn out that bad though, I'll move to Linux eventually. Easier said than done but I *will* refuse to use a mobile phone interface on my desktop.

Ubuntu 12.04 is a pretty good OS TBH. I've got the wife's laptop (an older HP) running it and for day to day use it's great. Sure, you can't run EVERYTHING you'd like to from Windows in it (Adobe CS, MC to name a couple) but to browse the net, run email etc it's pretty solid.

Server side, I run ubuntu as well and it's rock solid.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 07:51:17 pm »

I turn Off All That Fancy Stuff And Prefer Speed Over Looks.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 12:21:45 am »

I turn Off All That Fancy Stuff And Prefer Speed Over Looks.
Me too. Windows 7 on my netbook looks like xp :-)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 09:30:29 am »

Exceptions aside it doesn't help one bit unless you have very old or crappy hardware.

It's as big a myth as turning off services or running registry cleaners.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 10:31:39 am »

Exceptions aside it doesn't help one bit unless you have very old or crappy hardware.

It's as big a myth as turning off services or running registry cleaners.
It's an 1.6 ghz atom and it seems faster. I don't really dig all of the special effects anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up