INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming and Transcoding Settings - WebGizmo, JRemote  (Read 3762 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Streaming and Transcoding Settings - WebGizmo, JRemote
« on: May 08, 2012, 06:09:22 pm »

Good day to you MC World!

If I am not mistaken we have a few different ways to stream audio within MC without 3rd party software such as Whitebear.
1) UPNP/DLNA Serving
2) Library Server (sharing with/streaming to, another instance of MC)
3) WebGizmo/WebPlay

For 1 and 2 we can set up trancoding settings, most importantly to "Never Convert".  With 1 we can set-up multiple options and choose the one that works best for the scenario.

Now the crux of the biscuit...  Would the MC Brass be interested in giving us similar control over whatever we call #3?  This is what JRemote and MyRiver are using along with WebGizmo of course.  

I think the devs are able to squeeze a higher bitrate out of the "WebGizmo Server" not unlike we can with 1 and 2, but i dont think this will be user configurable.  Some may not be able to stream 256.  Others may be able to handle 320.  Many more of us (i think) would like to have it send along full flavor FLACs when we are streaming to the device at home.  I still have to use PlugPlayer when I do that.

I ask because I have PP use my "remote" dlna server set to convert to Medium Bandwidth MP3.  This results in almost no dropouts and decent enough sound.  I can tell it is compressed but it is acceptable given the circumstances.  With "High" i get about 1 dropout for every three tracks.  With "Never Convert" it drops every 30 seconds or so.  But on "Low Bandwidth" it is crackley, glitchy and basically unpleasant.  I am now seeing that JRemote and WebGizmo both share this sound quality.

Obviously this is all easy to handle with the MC UPNP servers.  

It would be sweet to be able to configure this as well.

Thanks for the time,
Patrick

PS- what are the specific definitions/rates of Low, Medium and High Bandwidth MP3s?  128, 256, 320???  I think I read that Low=128 which would stand to reason given the bad SQ.

HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

pcstockton

Re: Streaming and Transcoding Settings - WebGizmo, JRemote
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:54:54 pm »

It appears that the next update of JRemote will enable streaming to the device.

The developer LesPaul commented that he is unable to use anything but 128kbps for quality.

Is there any possible way this could be user configurable just like DLNA serving and Library Sharing?

Thanks!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 04:11:31 am »

I have JRemote and My River installed on my iPad. My River was updated yesterday and it now offers 3 different steaming qualities, 64 kbps, 128 kbps and 320 kbps. I don't know how to verify that it streams with 320 kbps, but it at least looks like it can be done.

pcstockton

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 12:56:47 pm »

I see that functionality has been added in My River.  Fingers crossed that LesPaul can do something similar with JRemote.

The most important streaming setting for me though would be "uncompressed" or "never convert".

I like to use this for streaming to iOS device around the house. 

Do the "Powers That Be" think this is possible?

Thanks!
Patrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up